My report is probably going to be rejected

I did a clothing store today where I had to make a small purchase and submit the receipt. The sales person put the receipt in my bag. When I got home to scan the receipt, I noticed the top of it was cut off, which listed the store name, address, date and time! I called the msc and was told to just submit it as-is, which I did. I then received an email from another person at the msc who asked why the receipt was cut off. I explained again in my email.

I'm wondering what the odds are that my report will be rejected because of this. There's a barcode on the bottom of the receipt, I'm assuming for returns. I'm thinking maybe the barcode could somehow verify the date and time of the purchase. I'll be bummed if the report gets rejected. It wasn't a fun shop and I don't look forward to re-shopping it. Thoughts?

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

@DareWright wrote:

I did a clothing store today where I had to make a small purchase and submit the receipt. The sales person put the receipt in my bag. When I got home to scan the receipt, I noticed the top of it was cut off, which listed the store name, address, date and time! I called the msc and was told to just submit it as-is, which I did. I then received an email from another person at the msc who asked why the receipt was cut off. I explained again in my email.

I'm wondering what the odds are that my report will be rejected because of this. There's a barcode on the bottom of the receipt, I'm assuming for returns. I'm thinking maybe the barcode could somehow verify the date and time of the purchase. I'll be bummed if the report gets rejected. It wasn't a fun shop and I don't look forward to re-shopping it. Thoughts?

I think the report will be accepted and ypu will be paid. Just be sure they know this is the receipt. It happens sometimes.

Liz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 11:35PM by Traveliz.
Also, could you take a photo of the price tag of the item? But I too think it will be accepted.
Not your fault the receipt was torn by the employee and asking for a new one would have a, been noticeable, and b, very possibly could not have been done anyway. I can't imagine any reputable MSC wouldn't take it.

There are reasons that a body stays in motion
At the moment only demons come to mind
I have had receipts burned (from the cooking grill) and receipts that you could not read because the ink was so light. I am sure they will accept the receipt if there is some identifying information on it that they can confirm.

The merchandise on the receipt is a good indicator you shopped there. It's not your fault that they tore the top off. This receipt should be accepted. smiling smiley
When that happens to me I place the receipt on a small piece of paper on which ke, "Receipt damaged by sale associate (or "as received at site.)" Then I submit a photo of the whole thing, i.e. receipt and note. That way, anyone who sees the report will see the explanation. I suspect that, like notes alerting the editor/scheduler that the date/time stamp is wrong, this has saved numerous emails as a report moves through the system.

Based in MD, near DC
Shopping from the Carolinas to New York
Have video cam; will travel

Poor customer service? Don't get mad; get video.
Even if you'd noticed the problem with the receipt while you were in the store, there really wouldn't have been anything you could do about it! A "normal" customer wouldn't ask for a new receipt because the top was cut off of his or hers....

I think you'll be OK with an explanation....

I learn something new every day, but not everyday!
I've learned to never trust spell-check or my phone's auto-fill feature.
I like walesmaven's suggestion regarding the note/explanation with the photo of the receipt. I have always explained the weird little things that happen during a mystery shop in the commentary or notes section. I find that some editors have the attention span of a gnat and don't even bother to read our commentaries.

AFTERTHOUGHT - I have had several purchase receipts print at the very end of the tape with large red streaks right through all the pertinent information. I have no control over something like that and those receipts have always been accepted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2016 02:09PM by Sybil2.
The first person I talked to at the msc said, "Oh no, I don't think we'll be able to accept it" but then he transferred me to another person who said to submit only the receipt (not the merchandise or bag) and they'll review it. I hope the report will be accepted, as it's not my fault and it would out me as a mystery shopper if I had brought it to the employee's attention.
It has happened to me with a receipt that was unreadable because the print was running out at the register. Nothing a shopper can do about that without becoming noticeable to the establishment. It was accepted and I was paid. Love the idea of attaching it to a piece of paper with an explanation. Another great idea to add to my arsenal.
I had one that told me not to use the self-checkout. The cashier manning the self-checkout offered me it, and I had to make the decision, take her up on the offer and risk having it rejected (even after noting it in the report), or refuse, possibly outing me as the shopper. I chose option "A", and noted it in my report. It was accepted.
When I get a receipt that is torn (sometimes by a clerk, sometimes by a gas pump printer), I scan it against a colored background to clearly show that I am attaching the entire receipt. Sometimes I add a note as others have suggested. I have also learned to add a note (either next to the receipt or in a comment box) when the description on the receipt does not match what I bought (especially when it does not match what I am required to purchase). Some "stores" attached to gas stations really don't care what button they push as long as the price it correct.

Shopping Southeast Pennsylvania, Delaware above the canal, and southwestern NJ since 2008
I had a postal shop where I walked up to the counter to ship my package and the clerk insisted she teach me the self-checkout. She actually got out from behind the counter and walked me to the self-checkout. I was worried about my shop being invalidated and really irritated at her pushiness. Luckily the shop was approved. If I wasn't shopping for an MSC she would have gotten an ear full from me.
@The1Sandman wrote:

I had one that told me not to use the self-checkout. The cashier manning the self-checkout offered me it, and I had to make the decision, take her up on the offer and risk having it rejected (even after noting it in the report), or refuse, possibly outing me as the shopper. I chose option "A", and noted it in my report. It was accepted.

I have had this happen to me but have no problem rejecting the self checkout offer. I don't think this "outed" me in any way. I just simply say I prefer a cashier or I don't like self check out. If they persist, I add that it is a matter of principle as I wait to have the one on one contact with a Cashier. Some customers just don't like self checkout.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2016 07:16PM by kenasch.
Just say that you want to pay with cash and/or purchasing a money order at USPS - it stops them in their tracks.
@Chix wrote:

Just say that you want to pay with cash and/or purchasing a money order at USPS - it stops them in their tracks.
She actually got to the payment step of the transaction at the counter, it wasn't till I took my card out that she insisted on teaching me to use the machine. I said no thank you, but she would have none of it. Like I said if I weren't doing a shop I would have made a scene. Instead, it all went into the report minus my opinion and I was paid.
@kenasch wrote:

@The1Sandman wrote:

I had one that told me not to use the self-checkout. The cashier manning the self-checkout offered me it, and I had to make the decision, take her up on the offer and risk having it rejected (even after noting it in the report), or refuse, possibly outing me as the shopper. I chose option "A", and noted it in my report. It was accepted.

I have had this happen to me but have no problem rejecting the self checkout offer. I don't think this "outed" me in any way. I just simply say I prefer a cashier or I don't like self check out. If they persist, I add that it is a matter of principle as I wait to have the one on one contact with a Cashier. Some customers just don't like self checkout.

I did grocery shopping at a 24 hour grocery store around 2:30 AM (not a shop) and had a cart full of groceries that included at least five items from produce that needed to be weighed. I got to the front of the store and there were four employees standing around. One of them informed me that the only full service cashier just went on break and I had to use the self checkout.

I explained to them that I refuse to use the self checkout and someone needs to open another register. They initially refused. I then pushed the cart toward them and explained that they would be restocking my entire cart back onto the shelf and I would visit the store later that day when the store manager was there to complain.

As if by magic, one of them opened another register and another one turned into a bagger. It probably would have taken one of them 40 minutes to put my entire cart back on the shelf.
@wwin wrote:

I had a postal shop where I walked up to the counter to ship my package and the clerk insisted she teach me the self-checkout. She actually got out from behind the counter and walked me to the self-checkout. I was worried about my shop being invalidated and really irritated at her pushiness. Luckily the shop was approved. If I wasn't shopping for an MSC she would have gotten an ear full from me.

The clerk was just doing their job. If she hadn't been so insistent she would have heard something from her supervisor later. I fear the USPS is replacing tellers with machines, forcing the current tellers to get us used to the replacements. Otherwise, why replace teller slots with machines. My local PO replaced one teller slot wirh two machines, on top of the machine they already have in the lobby.

My posts are solely based on my opinions and for my entertainment, contact a professional if you need real advice.

When you get in debt you become a slave. - Andrew Jackson
@isaiah58 wrote:

@wwin wrote:

I had a postal shop where I walked up to the counter to ship my package and the clerk insisted she teach me the self-checkout. She actually got out from behind the counter and walked me to the self-checkout. I was worried about my shop being invalidated and really irritated at her pushiness. Luckily the shop was approved. If I wasn't shopping for an MSC she would have gotten an ear full from me.

The clerk was just doing their job. If she hadn't been so insistent she would have heard something from her supervisor later. I fear the USPS is replacing tellers with machines, forcing the current tellers to get us used to the replacements. Otherwise, why replace teller slots with machines. My local PO replaced one teller slot wirh two machines, on top of the machine they already have in the lobby.

What I find interesting is that anywhere you implement any self-service process, obviously people start getting worried for their jobs, yet it seems the clerk in this case has found a way to get advantage of it (maybe seniority prevents him from being downsized?), so he gets the machine to do his job, and he doesn't have to work as hard... Just a hypothesis...
I had a shop where the time on the receipt was an hour off from the real time. This also conflicted with the time stamp from the parking garage receipt (which confirmed the time I said it was.) I had to explain that maybe it was because we just had daylight savings time and they hadn't changed their clocks yet as well as it was a stand alone cash register and not hooked up to the internet. The charge card receipt didn't match either, but matched the garage receipt and the time I said it was. I finally had to rely on my past reports and respectfully asked them to call the owner and check the cash register for possible discrepancies. It finally got accepted but they made me feel like a criminal and a dishonest shopper. It's a once of year type shop because of the product and the bitterness had worn off by the next year, on my part!
@isaiah58 wrote:

@wwin wrote:

The clerk was just doing their job. If she hadn't been so insistent she would have heard something from her supervisor later. I fear the USPS is replacing tellers with machines, forcing the current tellers to get us used to the replacements. Otherwise, why replace teller slots with machines. My local PO replaced one teller slot wirh two machines, on top of the machine they already have in the lobby.

USPS should have replaced all their PO employees with machines years ago. In my entire life, shopping and not shopping, I have only encountered one competent, decent, friendly person working at a post office. These lazy morons only have jobs because they are unionized. Machines could do their jobs better, and without the nasty
attitudes. Live people at the post office are a waste of USPS' money.
I must be lucky. My mail carrier, the subs on his days off and everyone I've dealt with at the two nearest post offices have been efficient, helpful and polite.

Equal rights for others does not mean fewer rights for you. It's not pie.
"I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag." -Molly Ivins
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time and it really annoys the pig.
I used to sell a lot online and was constantly at the post office back in the early 2000s. At that time, I found most of the employees polite and helpful. They got to know me and it was a nice vibe. It is important to note they were usually on the cusp of retirement. After quite a few years of not selling online, I went back in and the faces were totally different. The atmosphere was different. And there was such an attitude! Indifference! Annoyance! Rudeness! Entitlement!

Yes, unfortunately since they've made changes, it seems like it's a whole different dynamic. And things seem to get messed up a lot more often. Is there accountability, I wonder?

(Yes this ended up a little off topic. Sorry.)
@The1Sandman wrote:

I had one that told me not to use the self-checkout. The cashier manning the self-checkout offered me it, and I had to make the decision, take her up on the offer and risk having it rejected (even after noting it in the report), or refuse, possibly outing me as the shopper. I chose option "A", and noted it in my report. It was accepted.

When I do grocery store shops and a manager suggests that I go to the self-checkout I refuse. I am a union member and the self-checkout stands are job thieves and I tell them that. I won't use anything that takes a job away from a union member.
@Morledzep wrote:

@The1Sandman wrote:

I had one that told me not to use the self-checkout. The cashier manning the self-checkout offered me it, and I had to make the decision, take her up on the offer and risk having it rejected (even after noting it in the report), or refuse, possibly outing me as the shopper. I chose option "A", and noted it in my report. It was accepted.

When I do grocery store shops and a manager suggests that I go to the self-checkout I refuse. I am a union member and the self-checkout stands are job thieves and I tell them that. I won't use anything that takes a job away from a union member.

That works except at The Branson Megastores.
@wwin wrote:

@Chix wrote:

Just say that you want to pay with cash and/or purchasing a money order at USPS - it stops them in their tracks.
She actually got to the payment step of the transaction at the counter, it wasn't till I took my card out that she insisted on teaching me to use the machine. I said no thank you, but she would have none of it. Like I said if I weren't doing a shop I would have made a scene. Instead, it all went into the report minus my opinion and I was paid.

That's exactly what happened to me. When I said I was more comfortable paying with the cashier, she grabbed the item and scanned it. And continued to process the payment by machine. She said, "See, there was nothing to it. Next time you don't have to wait for a cashier." My report was accepted.

I know exactly how you felt. Chances are she would have done it forcefully, even if I applied my WenDo move.winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login