Build A Bear and Costco

Since I named the Client I can't name the MSC. But for those who do this visit for the MSC who has it: Costco sells B-A-B Gift cards online. You spend $80 and you get $100 in card amount. Starting November 24, Costco is selling these cards for $10 LESS, meaning $70. For those who visit this B-A-B the reimbursement is $70. This means we can buy the cards at Costco for $70 and even if we spend $95, we are not "out of pocket." I am probably going to buy 2, for $140. This way if I spend $75 each visit (around what I normally do) that means after 2 visits my cards have been paid for, I still have $50 left so the next time I go I would put out $25 but that means I put out $165 and got reimbursed $210 meaning I MADE $45 and because this client does not pay a fee to shop it - you are making $15 per shop. Just something to think about for those who do B-A-B and belong to Costco.

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

@kimmiemae wrote:

Does the MSC let you pay with a gift card for Build A Bear?

YES! Which is why I posted this
This is good advice not only for this shop but for others. Costco puts several of their gift cards which are already at a 20% discount on a larger discount around black Friday. Not all Costcos carry the same gift cards so check your local store. I have used this when they have gift cards for restaurant shops I have done in the past.
@sandyf wrote:

This is good advice not only for this shop but for others. Costco puts several of their gift cards which are already at a 20% discount on a larger discount around black Friday. Not all Costcos carry the same gift cards so check your local store. I have used this when they have gift cards for restaurant shops I have done in the past.

Good point. HOWEVER - most Clients do NOT allow the use of a Gift Card so for most doing this wouldn't be a good idea.
How the heck do you score those shops? I want one but I am not willing to barter in order to get one.
@eyelove2shop wrote:

How the heck do you score those shops? I want one but I am not willing to barter in order to get one.

I get one because I do a zillion of the pizza shops they have. I probably do about 3-5 a month so they don't have to ask me to do one because I do enough already.

I have also been with them for some time and make sure my reports are submitted on time and with minimal editing. I am highly rated there so when I ask for something I have a batter chance of getting it than someone who is not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 07:30PM by SoCalDude.
@eyelove2shop wrote:

How the heck do you score those shops? I want one but I am not willing to barter in order to get one.

You may have answered your own question.

Shopping the Greater Denver Area, Colorado Springs and in-between in Colorado. 27 year old male and willing to travel! Badged for Denver International Airport.
I was eyeing this gift card special, too! I will definitely be buying at least one set, but you might have convinced me to buy two. ;-) I manage to pick this shop up at least once every time it pops up.
Thanks for the tip. I have one scheduled for this weekend. Probably not enough time to get the card. Wonder if they sell them in store?

"There is no moral or Constitutional justification for taking money honorably earned from a neighbor to pay for what some citizens can’t afford." ~Star Parker
Darn, I wish I had a Costco membership! We do not have one near us, but we have Sam's Clubs.
@SoCalDude wrote:

@sandyf wrote:

This is good advice not only for this shop but for others. Costco puts several of their gift cards which are already at a 20% discount on a larger discount around black Friday. Not all Costcos carry the same gift cards so check your local store. I have used this when they have gift cards for restaurant shops I have done in the past.

Good point. HOWEVER - most Clients do NOT allow the use of a Gift Card so for most doing this wouldn't be a good idea.

Almost every restaurant client I do does allow gift cards. It might depend on the msc. These are not fast food! It would be slow to use a gift card on fast food but on slow food the gift card gets used up fast.
@casper7776 wrote:

Darn, I wish I had a Costco membership! We do not have one near us, but we have Sam's Clubs.

This is available online only so you don't need one near you. If you know ANYONE who has a Costco membership they can do this for you. Just have them do it for you and get the $70 to them then they can email the cards to you.
@casper7776 wrote:

Darn, I wish I had a Costco membership! We do not have one near us, but we have Sam's Clubs.
The mystery shop company paid for mine :-D.

Went to ask today if they had them in-store (because I'd be the one person whose online printout didn't work.) Customer service guy said they're usually available if there is a BAB within 10 miles; otherwise not. Decided to drop by before the shop this weekend. The Wookie Bear is calling my name.... er, I mean the name of the child I'm borrowing to bring with me.

"There is no moral or Constitutional justification for taking money honorably earned from a neighbor to pay for what some citizens can’t afford." ~Star Parker
They will not let me back in B_A_B place. Something about my bear having chains and little handcuffs. And being dressed in leather.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2017 09:56AM by 2stepps.
I will gladly barter for a BAB shop. I have shopped them twice with my daughter. I take her with with me and we do both on the same day. Its a fun girls day out. Thank you for the Costco tip.
@iShop123 wrote:

@casper7776 wrote:

Darn, I wish I had a Costco membership! We do not have one near us, but we have Sam's Clubs.
The mystery shop company paid for mine :-D.

Went to ask today if they had them in-store (because I'd be the one person whose online printout didn't work.) Customer service guy said they're usually available if there is a BAB within 10 miles; otherwise not. Decided to drop by before the shop this weekend. The Wookie Bear is calling my name.... er, I mean the name of the child I'm borrowing to bring with me.


The new Star Wars bears there are awesome! I have a stormtrooper bear and a Boba Fett bear from BAB.
@DareWright wrote:

Sam's Club has them for $79.98 (four $25 gift cards)

I will have to check that out! Thanks for the tip.
Did mine this weekend. The Costco near the BAB had the physical cards (thanks for the pointer, SoCal!). At the end of the shop, the cashier tells me that with the new promotion, if I buy a gift card for $5, I'll leave with more money on the card than not. Alas, the instructions specifically say no purchase of gift cards, so I had to play the idiot and not do the deal.

The Star Wars ones are $35 each or 2/$45; in effect, you get the second character for $10 since the MS company is paying for the first one. This was a lot of fun. Hoping to do more.

"There is no moral or Constitutional justification for taking money honorably earned from a neighbor to pay for what some citizens can’t afford." ~Star Parker
@iShop123 wrote:

Did mine this weekend. The Costco near the BAB had the physical cards (thanks for the pointer, SoCal!). At the end of the shop, the cashier tells me that with the new promotion, if I buy a gift card for $5, I'll leave with more money on the card than not. Alas, the instructions specifically say no purchase of gift cards, so I had to play the idiot and not do the deal

The Star Wars ones are $35 each or 2/$45; in effect, you get the second character for $10 since the MS company is paying for the first one. This was a lot of fun. Hoping to do more.

I had the same thing happen to me. I MS a BAB and was told I could buy a $10 Gift Card for $5 if I wanted. I was already over the $70 limit so I bought it figuring anything over $70 is out of my pocket so why not. My shop got accepted
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login