Age Limit - Do you Say Your Real Age?

I notice these MSC may often want a certain age limit. The youngest I've seen other than kids/teens was 30! I enjoy doing MS & want to do them for a long time, but they're already limiting a lot of people & practicing age discrimination (like against retirees). So what does a person do? This isn't just for the alcoholic beverage audits to make sure they card people. I'm not a retiree, but I know I don't look my age...I look younger. I guess we have to put our real birth year when we first register. Oh well.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2020 08:09PM by Forever Blue.

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

The client wants to know the opinion of a certain age bracket or a demographic in those cases. That in itself is not discriminatory.
Yes, you have to put your real birth year when you sign up with an MSC. Also your real name, and your real address, etc.
You also have to upload a copy of your license to prove your age.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
They're not discriminating. They are wanting shoppers who are the target audience for the company that they are going to shop. While Gramma may shop at Forever 21 (maybe because she likes the leggings, maybe because she's gift shopping) but that doesn't mean that is who the target audience. It's the same with Amusement Advantage looking for African Americans for certain shops, that is who mostly goes to their business and so that is their target audience.

Shopping the South Jersey Shore
I've "aged out" of shops. It is what it is. I would never dream of giving false information to do a shop. I have on occasion had a scheduler who was wiling to waive the age restriction on shops when desperate to get the shop completed. Several years ago there was a sports bar and they did not want anyone over 45 to do the shop. They couldn't get it filled and allowed me and my husband to go.
I've done a couple of shops where they waived the age requirement. Usually happens at the end of the period when they get desperate.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. Eleanor Roosevelt
I recently completed a shop that required the shopper to be several years younger than I am. I replied to the email and let her know I would do the shop. I included my age and the fact that I was familiar with the item I would be shopping. I was assigned within minutes. There is no reason or justification for lying.
You should not lie, as in your profile your birthday is there, you will be disqualified for lying, however, they have lifted age restrictions for me at times.....I am proud of my age, and do not lie. Certain jobs require a certain demographic, we need to respect that. This is a great industry for seniors, speaking from experience.

Live consciously....


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2020 09:17PM by Irene_L.A..
I'm 68. I completed a shop for up to 55 this past week. Scheduler assigned it immediately after I emailed asking about it. Don't lie about your age, but ask if the requirement can be waived. Sometimes it can. Most times..not.

*****************************************************************************
A flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms.

Zen Shin Talks
Yeah, there is a grilled cheese place nearby that was shopped last couple of years (not sure about this year). They wanted shoppers I think 42 and younger and they wouldn't waive the age restriction. I am 57, but I sure wouldn't mind eating a grilled cheese sandwich. I thought it was weird, because I am sure that I am not the only person past 42 that would eat grilled cheese sandwiches.
@JASFLALMT wrote:

Yeah, there is a grilled cheese place nearby that was shopped last couple of years (not sure about this year). They wanted shoppers I think 42 and younger and they wouldn't waive the age restriction. I am 57, but I sure wouldn't mind eating a grilled cheese sandwich. I thought it was weird, because I am sure that I am not the only person past 42 that would eat grilled cheese sandwiches.

Yes, see that's the kind of odd shops I'm mainly talking about & I see more of them than the very rare occasion. Our world/society consists of all kinds & it's a little disheartening that they're stopping people at a certain age, otherwise, you have to go through the trouble of getting permission & all that hubbub as if we ALL only live to be that age. I understand them wanting the certain demographic, but still...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2020 09:55PM by Forever Blue.
You'll get over it. It's not discrimination, it's demographics for market research and that's the way it is.
Many schedulers would consider lying about your age to obtain a shop to be fraudulent activity. Schedulers warn other schedulers about shoppers they believe are fraudulent. I think you'd risk losing more shops than you'd gain.

Administrative Manager for Shoppers' View
p: 616-608-1594 | e: christinew@shoppersview.com | w: www.shoppersview.com
@ShoppersViewChristine wrote:

Many schedulers would consider lying about your age to obtain a shop to be fraudulent activity. Schedulers warn other schedulers about shoppers they believe are fraudulent. I think you'd risk losing more shops than you'd gain.

I think that pretty much every scheduler that I work with feels this way. winking smiley
I'd never lie about my age, but I'm told I look a lot younger than 65 (I look like I'm in my fifties, I'm told). I've offered to send a photo of myself in order to have an age restriction waived, but have never been taken up on it. I have, however, been accepted for a shop where I was older than the "preferred demographic" and have done a few jobs that have had age restrictions lifted the later in the month it gets!

I learn something new every day, but not everyday!
I've learned to never trust spell-check or my phone's auto-fill feature.
@ShoppersViewChristine wrote:

Many schedulers would consider lying about your age to obtain a shop to be fraudulent activity. Schedulers warn other schedulers about shoppers they believe are fraudulent. I think you'd risk losing more shops than you'd gain.

Right, I know. I'd personally never do it. I'm just simply asking. In my real, personal life, I'm THE MOST NON-rule breaker you'll ever meet. I've never even gotten a parking ticket in the last 15+ yrs. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't even drink coffee. I'm not saying smoking & drinking are breaking any rules. I'm just saying that I'm one of the most vanilla-type people you'll probably ever know!
@ShoppersViewChristine wrote:

Many schedulers would consider lying about your age to obtain a shop to be fraudulent activity. Schedulers warn other schedulers about shoppers they believe are fraudulent. I think you'd risk losing more shops than you'd gain.

If you lie about your own info, how can the companies (or the clients) believe anything you put in your reports? Just tell the truth. Age limitations can sometimes be waived if you ask.
Why would you lie about your age in the first place? If you want to be treated as a professional, you need to present yourself as a professional and not deceive.

About 5 or so year ago now, I had this girl lie to me about her age. After about a month of seeing her and learning of her real age, I definitely dodged a bullet (or in that case, “taking a seat over there”). I’d imagine that MSC’s that discovering any shoppers lying about their age would be dodging bullets from those kind of shoppers too.

Shopping the Greater Denver Area, Colorado Springs and in-between in Colorado. 30 year old male and willing to travel! Badged for Denver International Airport.


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2020 12:01AM by Tarantado.
I put my real age, not that anyone in person believes me (I'm 34 but still get carded for R movies). The latter part helps out a lot in my compliance shops.
Also, it's best to just be truthful because some companies have you upload your ID anyway (for instance, doing alcohol and tobacco shops). I've had to upload mine for at least 3 different companies.
@Tarantado wrote:

About 5 or so year ago now, I had this girl lie to me about her age.
[www.youtube.com] ;-)

“I am convinced that knowledge is power - to overcome the past, to change our own situations, to fight new obstacles, to make better decisions.” ~Ben Carson
@Forever Blue wrote:

I notice these MSC may often want a certain age limit. The youngest I've seen other than kids/teens was 30! I enjoy doing MS & want to do them for a long time, but they're already limiting a lot of people & practicing age discrimination (like against retirees). So what does a person do? This isn't just for the alcoholic beverage audits to make sure they card people. I'm not a retiree, but I know I don't look my age...I look younger. I guess we have to put our real birth year when we first register. Oh well.

So, your question in a nutshell is whether people on the forum who are paid daily specifically to give their honest assessment would consider repeatedly and casually lying to the person with the checkbook to fraudulently keep certain age-limited work?

The value a shopper brings to the table is all tied up in their integrity. If contemplating this most basic of lies causes no pains of conscience, there's no reason an MSC should expect a quality report. Keeping the MSC happy will likely be a challenge without a foundation of trust and honesty since that's the main - perhaps only - commodity any of us has to sell. Plus, it's... you know...wrong.
Methinks op won't be back to this thread for the answer. Kind of understandable because I don't think they realized how it sounded when they posed the original question...

@JustForFun wrote:


So, your question in a nutshell ....

Kim


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 07:24PM by kimmiemae.
Many people don't seem to have read what I said above back on January 19th & I'll repeat:

"Right, I know. I'd personally never do it. I'm just simply asking. In my real, personal life, I'm THE MOST NON-rule breaker you'll ever meet. I've never even gotten a parking ticket in the last 15+ yrs. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't even drink coffee. I'm not saying smoking & drinking are breaking any rules. I'm just saying that I'm one of the most vanilla-type people you'll probably ever know!"

We can close this thread up if it can be done.
@Forever Blue wrote:

Many people don't seem to have read what I said above back on January 19th & I'll repeat:

"Right, I know. I'd personally never do it. I'm just simply asking. In my real, personal life, I'm THE MOST NON-rule breaker you'll ever meet. I've never even gotten a parking ticket in the last 15+ yrs. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't even drink coffee. I'm not saying smoking & drinking are breaking any rules. I'm just saying that I'm one of the most vanilla-type people you'll probably ever know!"

We can close this thread up if it can be done.
My apologies if my comment caused offense. I tried hard to make a general reply but maybe that wasn't successful.

I did read your comments and accept them at face value. Yours was a hypothetical question and not reflective of your actual sentiments on the matter. But I decided that a reply might still have merit for a future reader with the same questions. Truthfulness has to be a cornerstone in any successful shopper's value proposition. It's actually what the MSC is buying from us.

Again, my apologies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login