Need a little help with WIN10 and photos

OK, guys and gals -- I actually learned how to download my photos and find them again after downloading. (Steep learning curve for this old dinosaur!)

Howsoever, I'm having a very SPECIFIC problem.

The old way, if I rotated the photos after download, it saved the rotated photo. So when I downloaded (uploaded?) the photo to the report, it was right side up and legible.

Now, with WIN10, I rotate the photo, and in the "folder", it looks fine -- upright and legible.

But when it downloads (uploads?) to the report, it goes in the report in the original, un-rotated position.

I'm quite sure MSCs will not be satisfied with this. There seems to be no option inside the report itself for correcting the rotation, either.

I don't see anything anywhere to help me with this.

Suggestions, please?

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

WOOT! You found them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grinning smiley

For some reports, a photo edit option appears after you save the report (but do not submit it).

The most basic duty of government is to defend the lives of its own citizens. Any government that fails to do so is unworthy to lead. - Donald Trump


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2020 05:16PM by Shop-et-al.
I have this problem with Prophet based MSC’s. For some reason the photo orientation after the upload changes. I just note this in my comments and the shops have all been accepted.
If it's in Sassie, when you first upload the photo it will not have a rotate option. If you save it and go back in, there are little arrows on each side to rotate it left or right, then you can click "save" for the photo and submit the shop.
OK. I've already submitted the reports, but I will try this next time.

99% of the time, it's not a problem. But I use a digital camera, and sometimes I do have to rotate.

@JASFLALMT wrote:

If it's in Sassie, when you first upload the photo it will not have a rotate option. If you save it and go back in, there are little arrows on each side to rotate it left or right, then you can click "save" for the photo and submit the shop.
Yeah, that's kinda how I felt, too! Took over 300 tries (1600+ photos, LOL!), but I finally succeeded.

@Shop-et-al wrote:

WOOT! You found them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grinning smiley

For some reports, a photo edit option appears after you save the report (but do not submit it).
I'll try to explain it as simple as possible:

Digital photos are given its orientation in two ways: Editing EXIF data (metadata ATTACHED to your photo's properties) or digitally moving the pixels.

EXIF (aka metadata your photo device attaches to your pic giving its orientation). Modern devices basically have have tilt sensors to automatically orient pictures, then attaches that orientation to the pic's properties when the file's made.

Though you're viewing the photo and it looks fine on your laptop after you rotated it, you may likely have just rotated the actual picture without editing its EXIF properties. Complicated, I know.

The simple solution? I suggest double checking your camera and looking for a setting for "auto-orientation" to let your device use its built-in tilt sensor, if not already, for future use. I could dive into the actual technical solution such as learning how to edit EXIF metadata, but yeah..... that's definitely not worth your time to fix such a minor issue like this, IMO.

Shopping the Greater Denver Area, Colorado Springs and in-between in Colorado. 30 year old male and willing to travel! Badged for Denver International Airport.
@JASFLALMT wrote:

If it's in Sassie, when you first upload the photo it will not have a rotate option. If you save it and go back in, there are little arrows on each side to rotate it left or right, then you can click "save" for the photo and submit the shop.

Sassie probably just utilizes a picture's orientation as spec'd in the EXIF metadata. That's why some pictures look off, if your camera incorrect orients the picture from its tilt-sensor. And when most of us rotate pictures out devices, it just rotates the pictures (moving pixels around), rather than actually correcting the orientation metadata.

Shopping the Greater Denver Area, Colorado Springs and in-between in Colorado. 30 year old male and willing to travel! Badged for Denver International Airport.
That's what editors are for.

Speaking of editors, I did a post office shop about 10 days ago and the editor came back at me with something like: "I have returned your shop as incomplete because you entered one of the digits in your tracking number incorrectly. Please return to the website and correct the error in your report." I emailed her back and asked her if the receipt was blurry or had not been uploaded to the report, or if perhaps she wasn't allowed to edit reports? I explained that I was out of town visiting my oldest daughter and it would be great if she could look at the tracking number and "edit" the report, unless she was not allowed by the MSC to actually edit reports. She wrote me back saying yes, she was allowed to edit reports and would fix it for me THIS TIME, but in the future I should proofread my reports before submitting. I replied and explained that I had been using the app and submitted the report in my car immediately after doing the shop but had forgotten my reading glasses at home, and that out of 100s of shops, I rarely had any returned to me unless there was missing information or a blurry receipt. And I of course apologized for my (so egregious and horrific, gasp!) error and thanked her for her help.

When I was an editor, if the information was there, I edited the report. I only returned reports to shoppers when more information was needed. In the time it took her to send me an email about it and return the shop to my log as incomplete, she could have changed the one digit in the tracking number to the correct number. Sheesh.

@Tarantado wrote:

...that's definitely not worth your time to fix such a minor issue like this, IMO.
@JASFLALMT wrote:

That's what editors are for.

Speaking of editors, I did a post office shop about 10 days ago and the editor came back at me with something like: "I have returned your shop as incomplete because you entered one of the digits in your tracking number incorrectly. Please return to the website and correct the error in your report." I emailed her back and asked her if the receipt was blurry or had not been uploaded to the report, or if perhaps she wasn't allowed to edit reports? I explained that I was out of town visiting my oldest daughter and it would be great if she could look at the tracking number and "edit" the report, unless she was not allowed by the MSC to actually edit reports. She wrote me back saying yes, she was allowed to edit reports and would fix it for me THIS TIME, but in the future I should proofread my reports before submitting. I replied and explained that I had been using the app and submitted the report in my car immediately after doing the shop but had forgotten my reading glasses at home, and that out of 100s of shops, I rarely had any returned to me unless there was missing information or a blurry receipt. And I of course apologized for my (so egregious and horrific, gasp!) error and thanked her for her help.

When I was an editor, if the information was there, I edited the report. I only returned reports to shoppers when more information was needed. In the time it took her to send me an email about it and return the shop to my log as incomplete, she could have changed the one digit in the tracking number to the correct number. Sheesh.

I agree with you 100%. One of the things that confuse me about this industry is the scope of the editors and nitpicks that have to waste a shopper's time sometimes....

Yes, my upcoming analogy is coming from a different field, but in my everyday job as an engineer, I have to interpret and wade through redlines, survey information and other data coming from the field. When transposition errors, or fairly obvious corrections can easily be resolved through basic deductive reasoning, that's what I've always done to avoid meaningless clarifications back to the field wasting both of our time.

In your case, the editor sending you back an entire report for a correction that could have been easily deductively reasoned with is a bit.... ridiculous and a waste of time.

Shopping the Greater Denver Area, Colorado Springs and in-between in Colorado. 30 year old male and willing to travel! Badged for Denver International Airport.
I think it was a waste of her time, too. What if I was one of those people who don't read email everyday? How long would she have had to wait for it to get fixed, or would she have rejected it because I didn't reply within 24 hours? I think she could have just fixed it and then shot me an email letting me know, something like, "Hi, just wanted to let you know your report for your post office shop at xxx location had an error in the tracking number, but I fixed it for you. Just a friendly reminder to proofread your reports before submitting in the future. Thanks and have a great day!"
@JASFLALMT wrote:

I think it was a waste of her time, too. What if I was one of those people who don't read email everyday? How long would she have had to wait for it to get fixed, or would she have rejected it because I didn't reply within 24 hours? I think she could have just fixed it and then shot me an email letting me know, something like, "Hi, just wanted to let you know your report for your post office shop at xxx location had an error in the tracking number, but I fixed it for you. Just a friendly reminder to proofread your reports before submitting in the future. Thanks and have a great day!"

Lol you're being too nice to these editors... Let's be real. Even the editor mentioning, "I fixed it for you," is a bit condescending and again, they should just fix it and move on. It's not even like it's complete missing information; it was merely a typo with enough information in front of them to correct it through the editing process.

Shopping the Greater Denver Area, Colorado Springs and in-between in Colorado. 30 year old male and willing to travel! Badged for Denver International Airport.
I'm just saying if she was having a bad day and felt the need to exercise her little power trip, that would have been a better way to do it. Oh, and I copied my scheduler on my replies, I am sure she thought it was ridiculous as well...I thought about cc'ing the owner of the scheduling company (this was not an in-house editor) too, but figured it was a waste of MY time and was petty.
Okay, so it happened AGAIN. I missed 1 digit on the tracking number. I was submitting the shop on the app in my car after leaving the location...it's really hard seeing the numbers and typing on a small screen (and I forgot my reading glasses AGAIN). Yes, I should have been more careful. It was 1 digit off, I know, sinful, horrible, what a terrible shopper I am!!!! So I got the condescending and chastising email this morning letting me know that my shop had been returned to fix the incorrect digit in my tracking number. This is the most egocentric and unpleasant editor. So odd that after 100s of shops for this MSC she is the only one who has ever sent my shops back for information that she had access to. I have, in the past, accidentally uploaded the wrong receipt or submitted a photo that was blurry and had an editor contact me for a new photo of the receipt, but when I asked this editor if the receipt was correct and easy to read, she said that it was, but she didn't fix it, she returned it to me instead. I just don't get it.
Sounds like a personality trait that is making shoppers crazy. Once I had an editor who took like 2 weeks to edit a gas station shop, one question at a time. I got an email telling me that some photo wasn't good enough. So I go back 25 miles and get another one. 3 days later I get yet another email saying something else wasn't right. I go back again (luckily I found shops to do on the way) and get another photo. Mind you, these photos were perfectly okay. 2 days later another email. That is when I snapped. I emailed her and said I wasn't going back again,50 miles round trip, that she should have given me a comprehensive list the first time she emailed me of what she wanted redone. That was the last I heard from her and the shop was paid.

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
I had the same problem when I updated to Windows 10.

The easiest solution is to go to your photo and adjust it even if it looks correctly oriented. To do this you use the edit button, then hit the "Flip" button twice, and then use the SAVE button on the bottom to save your adjustment. I think that is the step you are missing.

If your photo is not correctly oriented, use the edit button and then rotate it to the desired orientation. You will still need to save the change.

Once you've saved it in either situation, the photo will transfer over just as it is oriented in your photos folder.

Hope this helps.
LOL.

Way over my head! Your simple explanation is a foreign language to me.

smiling smiley

(I think you'd have to dumb it down way, way below 5th grade level for me to understand any of it.)

My camera is so old that I doubt it has the thing you mentioned. Besides, I don't even know how to change the date and time stamp on it, LOL, so orientation would be -- well, I wouldn't even know how to find out if the camera has it.

smiling smiley

However, I muddled through somehow, and managed to "save" one photo in the correct orientation. Cannot replicate my success, to date, even though I wrote down every step I took....but for now, I only needed the ONE photo.

Geesh....some days.....!!!

@Tarantado wrote:

I'll try to explain it as simple as possible:

Digital photos are given its orientation in two ways: Editing EXIF data (metadata ATTACHED to your photo's properties) or digitally moving the pixels.

EXIF (aka metadata your photo device attaches to your pic giving its orientation). Modern devices basically have have tilt sensors to automatically orient pictures, then attaches that orientation to the pic's properties when the file's made.

Though you're viewing the photo and it looks fine on your laptop after you rotated it, you may likely have just rotated the actual picture without editing its EXIF properties. Complicated, I know.

The simple solution? I suggest double checking your camera and looking for a setting for "auto-orientation" to let your device use its built-in tilt sensor, if not already, for future use. I could dive into the actual technical solution such as learning how to edit EXIF metadata, but yeah..... that's definitely not worth your time to fix such a minor issue like this, IMO.
Your iPhone 6 should have beautiful photo capabilities where you don't need to be using your digital camera anymore. My husband still has his iPhone 6 and it has a great camera.
Thank you. But you see, I know how to transfer photos from my camera to my laptop; I do NOT know how to transfer them from the phone. Or even if it's possible to do that.

I do NOT do reports on my phone.
When you look at an image on your phone, what do you see? Are there little icons on the screen? One of those icons should give you the option to 'share' or something similar.

After you have located the relevant icon, you can select an e-mail option. Send the image to your own e-mail.

Let us know when you have done this much. You Can Do This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

@ceasesmith wrote:

Thank you. But you see, I know how to transfer photos from my camera to my laptop; I do NOT know how to transfer them from the phone. Or even if it's possible to do that.

I do NOT do reports on my phone.

The most basic duty of government is to defend the lives of its own citizens. Any government that fails to do so is unworthy to lead. - Donald Trump
LOL! Thanks, Shop-it.

I haven't even taken a photo with this phone yet. LOL, a friend came over today and did whatever needed doing to put it on my home wifi, I couldn't even figure that out.

New computer AND newer phone, really testing the old gray matter here!

smiling smiley
Last year you thanked someone for explaining how to email photos from your phone and download them on your computer. You did it successfully before, what has changed? And I saw where you explained to someone else how to do it in another post:

[www.mysteryshopforum.com]

@ceasesmith wrote:

Thank you. But you see, I know how to transfer photos from my camera to my laptop; I do NOT know how to transfer them from the phone. Or even if it's possible to do that.

I do NOT do reports on my phone.


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 05:38AM by JASFLALMT.
I now have a different phone and a different computer. That's what changed. Different OS, nothing works the same way it did before.
@JASFLALMT wrote:

I think it was a waste of her time, too. What if I was one of those people who don't read email everyday? How long would she have had to wait for it to get fixed, or would she have rejected it because I didn't reply within 24 hours? I think she could have just fixed it and then shot me an email letting me know, something like, "Hi, just wanted to let you know your report for your post office shop at xxx location had an error in the tracking number, but I fixed it for you. Just a friendly reminder to proofread your reports before submitting in the future. Thanks and have a great day!"

You're both aiming too low. I don't want the editor to fix my manually typed 400 digit tracking number for me. And I don't want to fix it either. I want the USPS to enter this century with the rest of us and add a tracking number barcode to the receipt. Presto! Typing errors gone.

And by the way, it would benefit their three hundred billion non-shopper customers too. You know, the ones that aren't shipping cut up cardboard, old newspapers, or expired cake mixes. The people who actually care about whether it arrives and want to track the progress. The people who have an app on the phone that will scan the barcode off the box so obviously it could scan the barcode from the receipt, too if USPS added it.

Why print out a 30 digit number on the receipt at all? i don't need the number, my computer does. The only useful purpose for the number is to put it back into a computer so work can be done with it. The way to transport it there is in a machine readable barcode, not via reading glasses dependent human eyes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 10:36AM by JustForFun.
@JustForFun wrote:

@JASFLALMT wrote:

I think it was a waste of her time, too. What if I was one of those people who don't read email everyday? How long would she have had to wait for it to get fixed, or would she have rejected it because I didn't reply within 24 hours? I think she could have just fixed it and then shot me an email letting me know, something like, "Hi, just wanted to let you know your report for your post office shop at xxx location had an error in the tracking number, but I fixed it for you. Just a friendly reminder to proofread your reports before submitting in the future. Thanks and have a great day!"

You're both aiming too low. I don't want the editor to fix my manually typed 400 digit tracking number for me. And I don't want to fix it either. I want the USPS to enter this century with the rest of us and add a tracking number barcode to the receipt. Presto! Typing errors gone.

And by the way, it would benefit their three hundred billion non-shopper customers too. You know, the ones that aren't shipping cut up cardboard, old newspapers, or expired cake mixes. The people who actually care about whether it arrives and want to track the progress. The people who have an app on the phone that will scan the barcode off the box so obviously it could scan the barcode from the receipt, too if USPS added it.

Why print out a 30 digit number on the receipt at all? i don't need the number, my computer does. The only useful purpose for the number is to put it back into a computer so work can be done with it. The way to transport it there is in a machine readable barcode, not via reading glasses dependent human eyes.

And don't tell me the bar code will make the receipt longer. It's already 3 feet long for a 30 second transaction valued under $10. Ever noticed what they do if you pay with a card? They print a 6 inch slip of PAPER and put it in the drawer like some sort of 1970s era carbon paper merchant's copy off a zip-zap machine! I'm certain they don't care about another half inch of paper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 10:38AM by JustForFun.
Okay, forgive my ignorance, but how in the world would having the receipt and/or tracking number in the bar code make our reports any easier?

On ff shops I do, which have all this info and more in the bar code, I still have to input every bit of data -- including the order/ticket/journal number.
But you obviously DO know that it is possible. Just because you haven't done it on the newer phone with the new computer does not mean it can't be done, and since you had done it on an older phone with an older computer, you certainly could guess that technology was not going to go backwards and make it impossible to do that. Besides the fact that people in the forum post regularly about transferring photos from their phones to their computers. So yeah, you must know that it's possible to do that.

@ceasesmith wrote:

Thank you. But you see, I know how to transfer photos from my camera to my laptop; I do NOT know how to transfer them from the phone. Or even if it's possible to do that.

I do NOT do reports on my phone.
It's worth the time to figure out how to use the cloud. The cloud, is like an email account. You can use it anywhere. Your pc, your phone, the library. But you can upload your photos to it instead of emails. My phone automatically uploads all photos to the cloud and then when I get back to my pc, well, they are already on it.

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
I do NOT know if it's possible.

For instance, I have a cord I use to plug my camera into my computer; into a USB port, I think (not sure). That's how I transfer photos.

Phone doesn't have such a cord.

Therefore, I do NOT know if it is possible.

I do know, right now, it's NOT possible for me to do it.

And I never, ever, not once, downloaded photos from a phone to a computer. Ever.

E-mailed them to myself, yes. But that's not the same thing -- or is it?

smiling smiley

To put it in context, I am well aware that pre-schoolers can do tech stuff that I cannot do.
In fact, it's downright embarrassing when I watch a two-year old (who cannot even speak in sentences yet) use a stinking tablet.

I also KNOW it's possible to travel to the space station, too.

But I cannot do that, either.

@JASFLALMT wrote:

But you obviously DO know that it is possible. Just because you haven't done it on the newer phone with the new computer does not mean it can't be done, and since you had done it on an older phone with an older computer, you certainly could guess that technology was not going to go backwards and make it impossible to do that. Besides the fact that people in the forum post regularly about transferring photos from their phones to their computers. So yeah, you must know that it's possible to do that.

@ceasesmith wrote:

Thank you. But you see, I know how to transfer photos from my camera to my laptop; I do NOT know how to transfer them from the phone. Or even if it's possible to do that.

I do NOT do reports on my phone.


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2020 05:57AM by ceasesmith.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login