Medicare Advantage Shops

So I just started doing these shops after MSing for over a decade. Did two of them and they were quite easy. What I'm wondering is if my pay rate is typical...not sure how high the MSC goes with these as they approach deadline. I did both of them for $84 each. For those with experience, is that good/bad...do they go much higher? Thanks!

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

I do ones that are local to me for about $90. If I have to travel, I ask for more depending on how much time/distance is involved.
Never got that much., Wish I could! Wish I knew what company- at least letter it starts with. Please let me know
That is a lot more than I have ever got on such as well, and I've done a lot of Medicare Advantage shops. Kudos on that.

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
"Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Assuming the required travel was not to BFE, I would not hesitate to accept such an assignment for $84. My highest, to date, has been $65.
Maybe these have been historically hard to fill locations for the MSC. They definitely weren't in BFE. And one was literally 2 minutes from my house. I just submitted PAD and they were approved. Sounds like I did good. Thanks for the replies!
BFE Google it. Bum F Egypt, the boonies, in the middle of nowhere

Not sure what the acronym PAD is, but it's only used by one specific MSC.

It is an amount over the shop pay you are requesting for whatever reason, even if that reason is because that's what you would need to do the shop. Originally I think it was for gas, hotels, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2022 12:16AM by wrosie.
I think it means "Pre-Authorized Distance pay." Although it makes at least as much sense if you ignore the capitalization and think "I'll do it but you have to pad the fee a bit."
I had one for the starting pay of $34 with the "PAD" company, since it was only a few miles away from me. Then I got an email about 2 weeks PRIOR TO my scheduled date, stating they were canceling it because the agent they wanted shopped was already shopped by another shopper! Well then, WHY have 10 or 12 shops listed WITH THAT AGENT if they only want him/her shopped once??? So they offered me another shop, but I said, NO THANKS. I'm not going to put something on my schedule and have it planned for a specific date, only to have it snatched away from me. Nope. I'll go with other MSCs with the Advantage plan shops.
Can anyone at least indicate the first letter of the company that does these shops? I am over 65 and love Medicare shops but have never seen them paying anything more than $20! thanks
Thought How Everyone Sees Other Utility, Red or orange, Carts Every time they go to the big box stores, but this MSC doesn't.

Their shops might involve tax return shops, office compliance shops and similar ones you need a background check for. But not all their shops require one.
I've done several this year for more than one company, but I was wondering if anyone has done one for United Healthcare? They are the ones that I did most often in years past but have not seen any for them this year. Am I just missing them, or have they stopped doing seminars?
I believe, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but the MSC I do seems to do Excellus BC/BS in the Northeast.

Phone Medicare Advantage shops I've done in Maryland are with another insurance company that seems regional to the mid-Atlantic states. I say this because one of the questions is what do you do if you move out of their coverage area.

Perhaps the insurance company is MSC specific?
Okay, I have to rant since I'm being ignored by my family about the benefits of Medicare Advantage. I'm also taking muscle relaxants after getting rear ended on my way home totaling my car.

Even though I've done these for the last 8 years and have tried to get my Mother to sign up for it she won't because it will cost her a premium. I told her it won't but she won't even accompany me to a presentation.

This year Excellus will reimburse $42 per month towards what you pay to Medicare. And includes dental.

My brother is a dental provider. Excellus BC/BS covers 2 exams, 2 x-rays and up to $1000 in restorative services and he accepts it. But he doesn't accept the Medicare Advantage plan my sister set Mom up on because, "she has a guy".

I don't know if her guy's plan rebates back the $42 per month for her Medicare premium or how many stars it is rated at. I was told to step out of it.

I don't know what Aetna was rated at. Excellus was rated "For more than a decade Excellus BCBS Medicare plans have consistently received above average quality ratings (4 stars or higher)". It shows 4.5 stars but that's why graphs and charts can hide what the rating actually was. The star ratings are assigned by a non-involved party.

And I don't know about the $30 quarterly OTC benefit. Again, I was asked to step away.
Medicare and a supplement is black and white, No shades of grey. If Medicare approves it, the supplement pays it. No questions asked, no hoops to run through. No preauthorization, no step therapy, no referrals. The s plans advantage sound great because like you say, there is no extra premium a little bit back here and there, but oh so many rules, For a lot of people it is worth the extra cost to have aq supplement and have the security of knowing if you doctor says you need it, you get it.
barbage,

The agent made a point to say the Medicare Advantage plan wasn't the same as a Medicare supplement plan.

Now that may because it's to the insurer's advantage (not the plan, think money) to have you on the plan versus a supplement plan (non-Advantage plan ie. premiums). But less customer support issues.

If so I don't know why they would press the MA plans vesus the supplement plans.

Go to all the free presentations you can until you find someone honest enough to tell you what is best for you.
How tough are the reports for these jobs? In my area they seem to be $40 and it sounds like you're committing 45-75 minutes to be there. Thanks for any insight!
I spent 30 min filling out the questionnaire and then was denied to a small technicality. I realize there is a learning curve with every new type of shop, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth. Thought I was getting $70.
I've only done one shop so far this year, so there was a 'remembering' curve, but I spent about 45 minutes on the report. Some of that was finding the required pages in the packet to photograph and include in the report. (The pages are in a slightly different place each year, which makes it a little confusing.)

I don't know your age or situation, but thanks to shops I had learned so much about Advantage plans that when Hubby turned 65 I was able to provide him with quite a bit of information :-)

@olympia tennenbaum wrote:

How tough are the reports for these jobs? In my area they seem to be $40 and it sounds like you're committing 45-75 minutes to be there. Thanks for any insight!

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. Eleanor Roosevelt
@wrosie wrote:

Thought How Everyone Sees Other Utility, Red or orange, Carts Every time they go to the big box stores, but this MSC doesn't.

SueW,

Look at my post carefully. I have spelled out the MCS's name. I can't do any more than that.
@barbage wrote:

Medicare and a supplement is black and white, No shades of grey. If Medicare approves it, the supplement pays it. No questions asked, no hoops to run through. No preauthorization, no step therapy, no referrals. The s plans advantage sound great because like you say, there is no extra premium a little bit back here and there, but oh so many rules, For a lot of people it is worth the extra cost to have aq supplement and have the security of knowing if you doctor says you need it, you get it.

But I've been trying to get my Mom ton Medicare Advantage at no cost to her. She hasn't had it or a supplement plan because she knows better.

And she just paid $4000 for hearing aids last year so that's another justification for not getting either. But they would have been at least partially covered if she had listened to her stupid, no nothing son.
I like these so I've signed up for a bunch. Lowest at $84 and a few at $100. Hopefully they don't get removed from my shop log if they meet quota beforehand.
Just signed up for the company. Whooo! The certification tests were really something! Guess they want me sniffing out Medicare fraud- not sure how- anyway applied for a shop for $34- I have other shops another company that day which I hesitate to try and reschedule until I hear from the Medicare company as I read above about shops being cancelled if a quota is met. I have done MANY Medicare phone shops and a couple in person. I hope that this company's report is not something I will dread. Never heard such annoying music on the certification video. My husband told me to turn off the sound Lol
@SueW70 wrote:

Just signed up for the company. Whooo! The certification tests were really something! Guess they want me sniffing out Medicare fraud- not sure how- anyway applied for a shop for $34- I have other shops another company that day which I hesitate to try and reschedule until I hear from the Medicare company as I read above about shops being cancelled if a quota is met. I have done MANY Medicare phone shops and a couple in person. I hope that this company's report is not something I will dread. Never heard such annoying music on the certification video. My husband told me to turn off the sound Lol

Sue,

Not to deflate your boat, but cancel the shop and ask for a PAD. You'll spend an hour in the presentation and then have to do the report. The report is reasonable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2022 08:32PM by wrosie.
Medicare Supplement vs Advantage Plan?

The most valuable thing I've learned from doing the Medicare shops is when a supplement is the better plan to chose vs an Advantage Plan. Since the prominent differences include out-of-pocket costs, flexibility
and plan coverage, I discovered the better choice hinges on the health of the insured.

Basically, I learned the lower-premium Medicare Advantage plans are designed for those with minimum health issues and who only require minimal medical maintenance. The more costly Medicare Supplement plans are intended for people who have serious health conditions-such as chronic or life-threatening illnesses-and who can afford and benefit from the supplement's wide coverage and flexibility.

I'm confessing this because my MIL had a costly Medicare supplement, which I couldn't understand. I believed it was a waste of money. Well, after my first Medicare shop, I totally understood her choice.

I say all of this because if you've never done a Medicare shop, I recommend you view it as a paid learning experience.....one from which you may well benefit.

@snuffycuts99 Wowsers! smiling bouncing smiley smiling bouncing smiley smiling bouncing smiley

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2022 08:41PM by stilllearning.
@stilllearning wrote:

Medicare Supplement vs Advantage Plan?

The most valuable thing I've learned from doing the Medicare shops is when a supplement is the better plan to chose vs an Advantage Plan. Since the prominent differences include out-of-pocket costs, flexibility
and plan coverage, I discovered the better choice hinges on the health of the insured.

Basically, I learned the lower-premium Medicare Advantage plans are designed for those with minimum health issues and who only require minimal medical maintenance. The more costly Medicare Supplement plans are intended for people who have serious health conditions-such as chronic or life-threatening illnesses-and who can afford and benefit from the supplement's wide coverage and flexibility.

I'm confessing this because my MIL had a costly Medicare supplement, which I couldn't understand. I believed it was a waste of money. Well, after my first Medicare shop, I totally understood her choice.

I say all of this because if you've never done a Medicare shop, I recommend you view it as a paid learning experience.....one from which you may well benefit.

@snuffycuts99 Wowsers! smiling bouncing smiley smiling bouncing smiley smiling bouncing smiley

Thanks, but actually I'm starting to think they're going even higher. I had those $100 shops approved after making PAD requests. But today I received email offers for the same locations at $100. And this was after I think yesterday they offered them at $90. So they are going up! There are still a lot of locations a bit further out that I am interested in. Time to wait and see if they keep going up! Or maybe start throwing out ridiculous PAD amounts just fishing!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login