Need Tech help

I have q problem. My iphone will no longer communicate with my laptop. I have two different programs to import the photos and I have used both for years. All of a sudden they say they cab bit find a device. The UBS ports work with other devices such as the camera. I took the phone to the Iphone store and they say the phone is fine the problem is with the computer. The computer people say the problem is with the phone. Since I'm not terribly tech savvy I am thinking I probable clicked a wrong butting in one of the setting, but I do not have a clue what it would be. Does anyone have any idea what I can do, or even who to ask for help?

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

I don't have an iphone but u may want to try this to transfer photos. Use bluetooth. Turn it on your phone and laptop. The computers may ask to pair up. Then select the photos u want to transfer and select 'share' and the device name. I transfer from my android phone to my imac all the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 07:04PM by 7star.
I can't speak to the tech stuff. Photos I take with my phone are automatically backed up in Google Photos. Additionally, I email some photos, notes, and files to myself. Then, from my computer, I can access them from either place, and save for upload.
As you take the pix, email them to yourself....from your phone. That's another way to do it.
That's what I do. From the email I download photos to the computer hard drive.
@Monk-N-Nut wrote:

As you take the pix, email them to yourself....from your phone. That's another way to do it.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. Eleanor Roosevelt
That's not a horrible idea (emailing yourself the photos) but if you are sending multiple photos, like 10 or more, that can be a real PITA. Sometimes I open up the report on my phone and upload the photos directly to the report, save it, and then finish the rest of the report on my computer.
If I'm doing a shop that requires a lot of photos (like a gas station audit) I go old school and bring my point and shoot camera. It's much easier to upload photos from its hard drive to the computer's.
@JASFLALMT wrote:

That's not a horrible idea (emailing yourself the photos) but if you are sending multiple photos, like 10 or more, that can be a real PITA. Sometimes I open up the report on my phone and upload the photos directly to the report, save it, and then finish the rest of the report on my computer.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. Eleanor Roosevelt
My preferred method is drag-n-drop from my phone, but the OP's issue was the laptop not seeing/communicating with the phone. Other things to try: use a different USB cable, use a different USB port on your laptop, from your phone, drop the pix into DROPBOX, then access the pix from DROPBOX on your laptop.
Any cloud service is preferable to every other method. If you have a google account, if you have Microsoft One Drive, if you have Dropbox, set your phone to upload them automatically and then access them from your computer. If you need to you can set your phone to upload them as soon as wifi is available.

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
I like this idea! I just bought a new laptop. I'm going to set this up tonight instead of saving pictures to Google Drive.

@7star wrote:

I don't have an iphone but u may want to try this to transfer photos. Use bluetooth. Turn it on your phone and laptop. The computers may ask to pair up. Then select the photos u want to transfer and select 'share' and the device name. I transfer from my android phone to my imac all the time.

The internet doesn't make you smart. It makes you good at regurgitation.
This (Bluetooth transfer) was so simple! Less steps than uploading to Drive, and faster than email.

Thank you for this tip!

The internet doesn't make you smart. It makes you good at regurgitation.
Your welcome !

I personally hate having everything in a cloud that could get hacked or deleted at some point. So I backup my files from pc to pc (imac to imac) and also have an Western Digital external drive as backup.


@HonnyBrown wrote:

This (Bluetooth transfer) was so simple! Less steps than uploading to Drive, and faster than email.

Thank you for this tip!
7star, I was talking to a friend about this a few weeks ago. Clouds can be taken away at any moment (Verizon Cloud). External hard drives break and are expensive to fix. Our computers get replaced every so often.

Where do we permanently store our data, photos, music, documents, etc.?

The internet doesn't make you smart. It makes you good at regurgitation.
Honny - I hear you. The drive I use for my imac is the Western Digital My Passport for Mac, 1TB storage. It costs $60-$70 at Best Buy and connects via USB. Sure, it could break but to me it's worth it. I back up all my data at least to 2 different devices. I have data on one imac. I backup that to another imac via buetooth/wifi which then gets backed up to the WD drive. Between the 3 devices I have all my data.

I don't use any cloud at all.
Have you tried a different cable? What about using that different cable on different ports on your laptop? What about soft resetting your phone then trying your original cable and then a different cable?

Shopping the Greater Denver Area, Colorado Springs and in-between in Colorado. 28 year old male and willing to travel! Badged for Denver International Airport.
@7star wrote:

Honny - I hear you. The drive I use for my imac is the Western Digital My Passport for Mac, 1TB storage. It costs $60-$70 at Best Buy and connects via USB. Sure, it could break but to me it's worth it. I back up all my data at least to 2 different devices. I have data on one imac. I backup that to another imac via buetooth/wifi which then gets backed up to the WD drive. Between the 3 devices I have all my data.

I don't use any cloud at all.

Don't overpay for storage. A portable (no external power needed) 4 tb can get as low as $85, but currently $100: [www.bestbuy.com]

Shopping the Greater Denver Area, Colorado Springs and in-between in Colorado. 28 year old male and willing to travel! Badged for Denver International Airport.
Well you can store them in a house but then the house can burn down. Google drive is probably the best way. Free too.

shopping north west PA and south west ny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login