Hey peeps...don't forget...

JAS, you can do it. RUN. It helps that I do my dining shops with DH. I don't remember any food being served while gone with exception of water and bread sometimes (Can we say untimely/late)? And yes, I am so annoyed when there's a hand dryer and no paper towels. That only occurs at casual places. All fine dining restaurants we have patronized provide thick, soft, absorbent paper towels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2020 04:23AM by Madetoshop.

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

@JASFLALMT wrote:

Let's see: Don't drink it. Don't get it in your eyes. I am not doing either.

Yeah:

a.) It could be an urban myth I picked up from aunt.
b.) I could be confusing that story with another one of a child who ate or played around with silica gel (I think he opened the packet) and it caused him to go blind.

*shrug* dunno....can't remember off the top of head

Absorbing too much rubbing alcohol (which is what is in hand sanitizers) can cause all sorts of issues, though, including blindness. But, I think you could be right that it's more like DRINKING it versus just using lots of it to clean your hands. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2020 01:57AM by shoptastic.
Mentioned this in anotehr thread, but COPPER is a natural bacteria killer.

Older pennies (I think pre-1976) have the most copper in them. I place pennies and other copper objects around the house/car.

Hospitals have nowadays been trying to install more copper furnishings, as that helps reduce bacteria.
SOME hand sanitizers indeed contain rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) while the rest contain ethanol = ethyl alcohol which is in beer, wine, whiskey, etc. Very little isopropyl alcohol is absorbed through the skin. Alcohol poisoning by isopropyl alcohol requires that about 200 milliliters get inside the average adult body. 200 ml = 6.7 ounces or close to a cup. All of the known cases of isopropyl alcohol poisoning were due to digestion. IMHO, the benefits of using a hand sanitizer externally far outway what I feel is a minuscule chance of alcohol poisoning by absorption through the skin.
@shoptastic wrote:

@JASFLALMT wrote:

Let's see: Don't drink it. Don't get it in your eyes. I am not doing either.

Yeah:

a.) It could be an urban myth I picked up from aunt.
b.) I could be confusing that story with another one of a child who ate or played around with silica gel (I think he opened the packet) and it caused him to go blind.

*shrug* dunno....can't remember off the top of head

Absorbing too much rubbing alcohol (which is what is in hand sanitizers) can cause all sorts of issues, though, including blindness. But, I think you could be right that it's more like DRINKING it versus just using lots of it to clean your hands. winking smiley

Shopping Southeast Pennsylvania, Delaware above the canal, and southwestern NJ since 2008
@shoptastic wrote:

Mentioned this in anotehr thread, but COPPER is a natural bacteria killer.

Older pennies (I think pre-1976) have the most copper in them. I place pennies and other copper objects around the house/car.

Hospitals have nowadays been trying to install more copper furnishings, as that helps reduce bacteria.

And, YES, COPPER KILLS VIRUSES TOO (according to Google that is....).
Copper does kill viruses by direct contact. In the extreme where you pasted pre-1982 pennies on the inside of your car, viruses in the air or on the steering heel would survive. If you buy copper foil and use it to wallpaper your house, viruses on the floor or ceiling or furniture or sink (you get the idea) would not be killed.
@shoptastic wrote:

@shoptastic wrote:

Mentioned this in anotehr thread, but COPPER is a natural bacteria killer.

Older pennies (I think pre-1976) have the most copper in them. I place pennies and other copper objects around the house/car.

Hospitals have nowadays been trying to install more copper furnishings, as that helps reduce bacteria.

And, YES, COPPER KILLS VIRUSES TOO (according to Google that is....).

Shopping Southeast Pennsylvania, Delaware above the canal, and southwestern NJ since 2008
@myst4au wrote:

Copper does kill viruses by direct contact. In the extreme where you pasted pre-1982 pennies on the inside of your car, viruses in the air or on the steering heel would survive. If you buy copper foil and use it to wallpaper your house, viruses on the floor or ceiling or furniture or sink (you get the idea) would not be killed.

For super protection, they have UV zappers that can be installed with your heating/AC system (hospitals have these installed in pre-surgery rooms to reduce harmful microbes before patients go in for operation). As air blows through the system, UV rays zap the molecules that pass through - killing microbes. Probably costs a few thousand dollars for a house set-up.

They have a stand-alone unit (like an air purifier you place in any room you want) called Molekule or something like that that does the same. That's several hundred dollars, I believe.

Yeah, the efficacy of these systems - along with copper - may only be reduction of some (maybe - I don't know - just a small minority of germs), but not all of the possible pathogens and bad stuff around us. Albeit, for hospitals, it is a HUGE PLUS. They WANT lots of copper and have those UV systems installed with their heating/AC.

I even mentioned UV zapping hand-held vacuum cleaners! They have stuff like that these days.

If anyone uses UV zapping products, be sure to learn safety procedures for your device and follow them carefully!

Maybe can't fully protect us. But, it probably helps some.

Hoping everyone - especially the elderly on our forum and young kids - stay safe! Will be praying for everyone I know!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2020 11:19PM by shoptastic.
After reading this thread... Forget aluminum foil. I'm going to wear a copper foil hat now! My students will certainly appreciate the new color.

Hard work builds character and homework is good for your soul.
I second that comment. The UV sanitizers probably produce both UV-A and UV-B. Both can harm your skin (think sunburn) and can really damage your eyes, and UV radiation will reflect off the copper pennies and foil that you placed around your house and UV radiation is invisible.
@shoptastic wrote:

If anyone uses UV zapping products, be sure to learn safety procedures for your device and follow them carefully!

Shopping Southeast Pennsylvania, Delaware above the canal, and southwestern NJ since 2008
Bacteria is everywhere, and most of it is harmless. Hand sanitizer kills 99.9% of bacteria (not viruses). In mathematical terms, that really is not a lot. Hand sanitizer also does not get rid of dirt, oil, grease, etc.

Hand washing is always the best option when done correctly. If a sink and soap are not available, hand sanitizer is okay, but must be used with a lot of friction. The hands are still dirty.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login