Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

My grocery pickup service smashed my bread for me for free. Well actually, they charged me $2.95.

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

That sucks. And you have no recourse because markets aren't doing returns.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
I made a grilled cheese yesterday. I used a swiss-gouda blend and sprinkled some garlic powder on top of the cheese.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
I called them and they credited back to my creditcard.

@HonnyBrown wrote:

That sucks. And you have no recourse because markets aren't doing returns.
Also, the young online shopper didn't know there was a difference between a seedless English cucumber and a regular cucumber. The English cukes were on sale and the regular ones weren't. They gave me the more expensive one, along with some mushrooms that were slimy and had brown spots on them. And I ordered four 16 ounce packages of bacon that were on sale for $2.99 each, but they gave me three 16 ounce packages and one 12 ounce package that rang up for $4.49. And no, they were not substitutions, they were not out of any items I ordered other than the Ocean Spray cranberry juice.

It's a new program for this regional grocer and they are still ironing out the bugs. I was polite and patient with them, and they credited back all the incorrect items to my credit card. Everyone is happy.
$2.99 for a pound of bacon is a great deal!

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
Yes, it is. That's why I bought 4 packages. Mostly for BLTs. Which could be turned into bacon-anything melts or if you like, grilled cheese-bacon-whatevers. I have a package of store bought hamburger buns to pile bacon high...in a traditional BLT sandwich, of course. We had those last night.

Last week I ordered an extra long bread pan to make homemade bread because I always let my bread over rise and it makes awesome bread to eat as is or with garlic butter, but would make a terrible grilled cheese sandwich or any other kind of sandwich, really. The bread is super fluffy with a crusty exterior, mmmm. I have a loaf in the oven right now.

Today I ordered some bun pans so I can make hamburger buns at home. Those will be good for BLTs and sandwiches because I won't let them rise too high. I can probably smush them for grilled cheese, too.
Bacon at a regional grocery store here is $9.99/pound. I get bacon and bread from Aldi's.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
I would never pay that much for bacon! Regular price for name brand is about $6 a lb. Still too expensive.
Exactly!!!!! It was a cherry bacon that I really wanted until I saw the price.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
I know this thread is about grilled cheese. This article is about meat. But some people put meat on their melts.

[www.cnn.com]
The best threads in this forum tend to go sideways now and then!

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
Poblano grilled with feta cheese on bread?

@Mum wrote:

Baked Poblano Peppers stuffed with feta.


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2020 04:54PM by JASFLALMT.
I was searching for something to do with a wedge of brie I have and after looking at the delish site, I got inspired to try French toast, apple and brie grilled cheese.

[www.delish.com]
@JASFLALMT.. Nah, just poblanos stuffed with feta and baked. I am sorry I forgot about the sandwich part of the theread! Well, you could make a sandwich out of it. Just put a couple of poblanos between two slices smiling smiley)
I had ham, brie, thinly-sliced Granny Smith apple with apricot-mayo grilled on pumpernickel bread. Delish!

@Mert wrote:

I was searching for something to do with a wedge of brie I have and after looking at the delish site, I got inspired to try French toast, apple and brie grilled cheese.

[www.delish.com]

Kim
The delish site has 50 or 60 yummy grilled cheese suggestions. I'm thinking ahead to zucchini bread or waffles turned to grilled cheese. Even cauliflower grilled cheese. I do cauliflower 'steaks' on the grill and get no complaints.

@kimmiemae wrote:

I had ham, brie, thinly-sliced Granny Smith apple with apricot-mayo grilled on pumpernickel bread. Delish!

@Mert wrote:

I was searching for something to do with a wedge of brie I have and after looking at the delish site, I got inspired to try French toast, apple and brie grilled cheese.

[www.delish.com]
I looked at Yummly for grilled cheese ideas. There were over 100,000 hits. Most of them on the first two pages were melts.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
I made a prosciutto and swiss melt for dinner.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
Those ideas sound so yummy. I've never tried making cauliflower steaks. It's on my to-do list.

@Mert wrote:

The delish site has 50 or 60 yummy grilled cheese suggestions. I'm thinking ahead to zucchini bread or waffles turned to grilled cheese. Even cauliflower grilled cheese. I do cauliflower 'steaks' on the grill and get no complaints.

@kimmiemae wrote:

I had ham, brie, thinly-sliced Granny Smith apple with apricot-mayo grilled on pumpernickel bread. Delish!

@Mert wrote:

I was searching for something to do with a wedge of brie I have and after looking at the delish site, I got inspired to try French toast, apple and brie grilled cheese.

[www.delish.com]

Kim
I made a cauliflower turmeric soup once that was really good. I bet it would go great with grilled cheese.
I would call them up and complain about the grocery packing of the sackers if the bread got smashed like that. They are starting to hate me because I always ask if not yell about putting the bread in the bag properly.
.
@JASFLALMT wrote:

My grocery pickup service smashed my bread for me for free. Well actually, they charged me $2.95.
Why do I read these threads late at night knowing they are going to make me hungry...lol

@JASFLALMT wrote:

I made a cauliflower turmeric soup once that was really good. I bet it would go great with grilled cheese.

Kim
That's like going to the grocery store hungry. I actually get my best cooking ideas then.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
I did, and they refunded my credit card back for the bread and a few other things that weren't right.

@2stepps wrote:

I would call them up and complain about the grocery packing of the sackers if the bread got smashed like that. They are starting to hate me because I always ask if not yell about putting the bread in the bag properly.
.
@JASFLALMT wrote:

My grocery pickup service smashed my bread for me for free. Well actually, they charged me $2.95.
I don't mind going to the grocery store hungry, I really don't think I buy too much more than what was intended originally.

I usually get my best cooking ideas when lying in bed before falling asleep. Or while I am cooking something else, I sometimes get great ideas on how to change it up or create a new recipe using the same ingredients.

@HonnyBrown wrote:

That's like going to the grocery store hungry. I actually get my best cooking ideas then.
Yep! I have recipes in my Cooking Light cookbooks that have made with 7/10 ingredient changes. This happens while I'm in the grocery store.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login