Market Force blocked my account

I’ve been shopping with Market Force for over 3 years without any issues. Then out of nowhere, they just canceled all of my assigned shops and blocked me from seeing any new ones. When I asked about, they told me they were not at liberty to discuss it. Has this happened to anyone else?

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

Sorry to hear this.

As an IC we are all subject to termination without an explanation. Not much different then when someone takes on a 1099 job as an IC. The typical IC contract protects the company, not the IC.

My posts are solely based on my opinions and for my entertainment, contact a professional if you need real advice.

When you get in debt you become a slave. - Andrew Jackson
The same thing did happen to a friend of mine. She had about 40 shops scheduled, and they canceled all of them, too.

You will be paid for any and all shops you completed, reported, and were approved.
This happened to me as well. I have heard several stories like this. IME, they tend to do it for random reasons.
It's happened to a lot of people. Some of them canceled or rescheduled shops too often or had shops rejected several times for mistakes such as incorrect photos, receipts uploaded to the wrong report, etc. Others had a family member who was also signed up with them who used the same computer, so perhaps they thought one shopper had two accounts. Others did a ton of shops for them and I think might have gotten deactivated because MF thought they might be recognized as the shopper (or perhaps the client disclosed that they had indeed "outed" them as the shopper). Others got deactivated for no apparent reason at all. Just another good reason to sign up with many, many companies and not have all of your eggs in one basket.
I do know that some shoppers have successfully negotiated a return to MF after time (6-12 months) has passed. I suspect that they’re the ones who were deactivated due to “recognizability.”
It took an email to the Help Desk to be reactivated, from the accounts that I heard firsthand.
Yeah, they do that kind of thing. Sorry it happened to you. No one really has any clue why they're such....*insert insulting words here*. I think they have some kind of quota they have to meet each moth for dropping shoppers or something. I can not think of any other reasons why they do this.
That's foul. You get used to the bonuses, middle of the month pay, and even the food, and they cut you off just because.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
@isaiah58 wrote:

Sorry to hear this.

As an IC we are all subject to termination without an explanation. Not much different then when someone takes on a 1099 job as an IC. The typical IC contract protects the company, not the IC.

I’m familiar with how IC agreements work. I wasn’t suggesting taking any legal action. I was just curious if this happened to anyone else and if anyone had any insight about why they would do this. Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2019 01:05PM by Zbog.
@Zbog wrote:

@isaiah58 wrote:

Sorry to hear this.

As an IC we are all subject to termination without an explanation. Not much different then when someone takes on a 1099 job as an IC. The typical IC contract protects the company, not the IC.

I’m familiar with how IC agreements work. I wasn’t suggesting taking any legal action. I was just curious if this happened to anyone else and if anyone had any insight about why they would do this. Thanks!

I don't think Isaiah was suggesting that you wanted to take legal action. I think his point was that this is pretty common, not only to Market Force but to a lot of mystery shopping companies. Yes, it has happened to many others with many different mystery shopping companies. Because of Market Force's size, we hear about it happening more with Market Force, but a lot of companies do it. Most companies are not as open about it as Market Force. Some companies just block a shopper and the shopper believes they no longer have shops in his area. In some areas, shoppers are rare or a particular shopper is a demographic the company prizes, but in most cases, there are plenty of shoppers. As for Market Force, new shoppers register every day. The new shoppers have "fresh eyes" and are willing to work for less. Market Force has such easy reports that a 3rd grader could probably complete them, so they don't need an experienced shopper. If something, anything, disturbs them with a shopper, there are plenty of new shoppers, so deactivation is the easiest route for them.

It is disturbing that your assigned shops were canceled when you were blocked from future shops. Usually, MF just blocks a deactivated shopper from future shops but allows them to complete any already assigned shops. When assigned shops are canceled, it usually means that some ethics issue concerns them - something reported by a client, something in the shopper's report that did not appear to be true, video at a client location did not match the shopper's report, their computer system identified that two users were submitting reports from the same ip address, or a family member or close friend was deactivated. If one member of a family is deactivated, MF usually deactivates all members of that family. There is really no way to know why you have been blocked. Based on their response, they are not likely to tell you, and it could be a lot of different things.
@roflwofl wrote:

@Zbog wrote:

@isaiah58 wrote:

Sorry to hear this.

As an IC we are all subject to termination without an explanation. Not much different then when someone takes on a 1099 job as an IC. The typical IC contract protects the company, not the IC.

I’m familiar with how IC agreements work. I wasn’t suggesting taking any legal action. I was just curious if this happened to anyone else and if anyone had any insight about why they would do this. Thanks!

I don't think Isaiah was suggesting that you wanted to take legal action. I think his point was that this is pretty common, not only to Market Force but to a lot of mystery shopping companies. Yes, it has happened to many others with many different mystery shopping companies. Because of Market Force's size, we hear about it happening more with Market Force, but a lot of companies do it. Most companies are not as open about it as Market Force. Some companies just block a shopper and the shopper believes they no longer have shops in his area. In some areas, shoppers are rare or a particular shopper is a demographic the company prizes, but in most cases, there are plenty of shoppers. As for Market Force, new shoppers register every day. The new shoppers have "fresh eyes" and are willing to work for less. Market Force has such easy reports that a 3rd grader could probably complete them, so they don't need an experienced shopper. If something, anything, disturbs them with a shopper, there are plenty of new shoppers, so deactivation is the easiest route for them.

It is disturbing that your assigned shops were canceled when you were blocked from future shops. Usually, MF just blocks a deactivated shopper from future shops but allows them to complete any already assigned shops. When assigned shops are canceled, it usually means that some ethics issue concerns them - something reported by a client, something in the shopper's report that did not appear to be true, video at a client location did not match the shopper's report, their computer system identified that two users were submitting reports from the same ip address, or a family member or close friend was deactivated. If one member of a family is deactivated, MF usually deactivates all members of that family. There is really no way to know why you have been blocked. Based on their response, they are not likely to tell you, and it could be a lot of different things.

Those were certainly a lot of words. I have never done anything unethical to cause them to deactivate me. Market Force is not being open about it at all. The reason I posted my concern is because they are being so mysterious and would not offer any explanation. That’s all. I appreciate everyone’s insight on possible causes that have nothing to do with ethical concerns.
Understand that you don't have to DO anything unethical. If they THINK that there is a POSSIBILITY that something MIGHT be unethical, deactivation is the easiest path for them. They do not usually explain and I suspect that may be because they don't plan to engage in a dialogue or argue. For example, if MF said "We deactivated you because the client came back and said his employee was offended by some action you took," you wouldn't just say "OK, I'm glad I know why." You would go back to them and say "No, I didn't," and you would want details of what was said and who said it. You would want to discuss and argue the point. They don't plan to do that. It isn't worth it to them. We shoppers, for the most part, are a dime a dozen to them. Deactivate one of us and two new ones - or 4 or 6 - register the same day.

And it could be that you canceled or rescheduled too many shops, there were QC questions on too many reports, too many Help Desk contacts, or any number of things. But, usually, shoppers deactivated for non-ethics issues are allowed to finish any already-assigned shops. Please don't be offended. I am not saying you are unethical or that you did anything unethical.
@roflwofl wrote:

Understand that you don't have to DO anything unethical. If they THINK that there is a POSSIBILITY that something MIGHT be unethical, deactivation is the easiest path for them. They do not usually explain and I suspect that may be because they don't plan to engage in a dialogue or argue. For example, if MF said "We deactivated you because the client came back and said his employee was offended by some action you took," you wouldn't just say "OK, I'm glad I know why." You would go back to them and say "No, I didn't," and you would want details of what was said and who said it. You would want to discuss and argue the point. They don't plan to do that. It isn't worth it to them. We shoppers, for the most part, are a dime a dozen to them. Deactivate one of us and two new ones - or 4 or 6 - register the same day.

And it could be that you canceled or rescheduled too many shops, there were QC questions on too many reports, too many Help Desk contacts, or any number of things. But, usually, shoppers deactivated for non-ethics issues are allowed to finish any already-assigned shops. Please don't be offended. I am not saying you are unethical or that you did anything unethical.

There is no possibility it had anything to do with lack of ethics on my part. So I appreciate everyone else’s insight on possible causes that have nothing to do with ethical concerns. Have a nice day smiling smiley
@Zbog wrote:


There is no possibility it had anything to do with lack of ethics on my part. So I appreciate everyone else’s insight on possible causes that have nothing to do with ethical concerns. Have a nice day smiling smiley

It seems like you're asking for possible reasons why you might have been deactivated, and then dismissing the possible reasons that you don't like. It's entirely possible that MF deactivated you for ethical concerns. The fact that you're so adamant that those couldn't possibly be it, makes me think it's even more likely. You don't seem to be taking an objective, honest look at what happened. I agree with @roflwofl : just because MF's algorithm deactivated you for "ethical" concerns (if that's even what happened, though it seems likely due to the removal of your future assignments) doesn't mean you did anything wrong. But for you to not even consider what actions you might have taken that would look out of place to them or their computer makes me skeptical that the reason they deactivated you has "nothing to do with ethical concerns".

Shopper in California's Bay Area
@CaliGirl925 wrote:

@Zbog wrote:


There is no possibility it had anything to do with lack of ethics on my part. So I appreciate everyone else’s insight on possible causes that have nothing to do with ethical concerns. Have a nice day smiling smiley

It seems like you're asking for possible reasons why you might have been deactivated, and then dismissing the possible reasons that you don't like. It's entirely possible that MF deactivated you for ethical concerns. The fact that you're so adamant that those couldn't possibly be it, makes me think it's even more likely. You don't seem to be taking an objective, honest look at what happened. I agree with @roflwofl : just because MF's algorithm deactivated you for "ethical" concerns (if that's even what happened, though it seems likely due to the removal of your future assignments) doesn't mean you did anything wrong. But for you to not even consider what actions you might have taken that would look out of place to them or their computer makes me skeptical that the reason they deactivated you has "nothing to do with ethical concerns".

That’s not the case at all. I haven’t done anything unethical, so it’s likely to be one of the other reasons people mentioned. Thanks anyway for all the time you’ve spent writing your lengthy replies. Have a nice day smiling smiley
It's pretty common. I remember one of the reasons that seemed likely was when multiple shoppers signed onto the same internet provider. And over the years we've decided they change the algorithm from time to time to shake up the shopper base. If you are in an area in need of shoppers, the less likely you are to be deactivated.

Evaluating and mailing packages since 1994
@ColoKate63 wrote:

I do know that some shoppers have successfully negotiated a return to MF after time (6-12 months) has passed. I suspect that they’re the ones who were deactivated due to “recognizability.”
It took an email to the Help Desk to be reactivated, from the accounts that I heard firsthand.

That’s good to know, thanks! They wouldn’t even tell me whether the deactivation was permanent or temporary, just said they aren’t able to discuss it. So mysterious.
I noted in another recent thread that I was shown the door. A few months earlier, I had been commended for completing 1000 shops successfully. Then I got an email telling me that I would not be able to assign any more shops but that I was expected to complete the ones already assigned to me. Since I did not want to jeopardize several months of pay, I completed them. I wrote a nice email asking why and was basically told that they use a highly secret system that compares shoppers to each other and that I was "either too hard or too easy compared to other shoppers", and that there highly confidential and proprietary system made it impossible for them to tell me which. I was told that I was banished forever. It hurt at the time, but I joined a lot of people on this forum who got a similar treatment and "explanations". In retrospect, losing the ability to assign shops a few weeks out and then having to work around them made it much easier for me to schedule other, more lucrative, shops.

Shopping Southeast Pennsylvania, Delaware above the canal, and southwestern NJ since 2008
I once completed 2 retail assignments for them. They were literally 2 minutes apart from each other. I got an email telling me that the times I entered in my forms were impossible to be true and if I ever claimed to do two shops so close together again I would be deactivated. So I didn't do anything unethical but they sure thought I did. I think I would have been deactivated if they had more shoppers here. As it is I have been removed from the wireless client, and that was probably due to someone figuring out I was a shopper.

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
CQ, I think there was some agreement about being a solid amount of times between shops are required regardless of geographic location. 10 minutes? I can't remember but I do reports between so I don't run into questions.

Evaluating and mailing packages since 1994
Lots of folks on this forum have mentioned being deactivated by MarketForce. When it is something harmless (not completing enough shops, completing too many, being too harsh/lenient), they always seem to let folks know. when they think the shopper did something wrong, they tend to be more secretive.

You have been very clear that you did not do anything unethical. However, that does not mean that MarketForce does not *think* you *might* have done something. They will deactivate shoppers for such suspicions - without bothering to notify the shopper or even being willing to talk to the shopper. For instance, several shoppers have accidentally uploaded the same photo in two different shops. The shops were immediately invalidated and the shoppers deactivated. They pushed a little, calling somebody higher up at the MSC before being told the reason for the deactivation.

If you are interested in continuing to work for MarketForce, it might be worth trying to call somebody a little "higher up" than the help desk and making an inquiry.

Good luck!

Hard work builds character and homework is good for your soul.
@MFJohnston wrote:

Lots of folks on this forum have mentioned being deactivated by MarketForce. When it is something harmless (not completing enough shops, completing too many, being too harsh/lenient), they always seem to let folks know. when they think the shopper did something wrong, they tend to be more secretive.

You have been very clear that you did not do anything unethical. However, that does not mean that MarketForce does not *think* you *might* have done something. They will deactivate shoppers for such suspicions - without bothering to notify the shopper or even being willing to talk to the shopper. For instance, several shoppers have accidentally uploaded the same photo in two different shops. The shops were immediately invalidated and the shoppers deactivated. They pushed a little, calling somebody higher up at the MSC before being told the reason for the deactivation.

If you are interested in continuing to work for MarketForce, it might be worth trying to call somebody a little "higher up" than the help desk and making an inquiry.

Good luck!

I see your point, but all of the shops I ever completed (hundreds) were approved without any issues. I would think if they suspected a violation, at least one of my shops would have been rejected at some point.

I have canceled / rescheduled a few times lately, so that could have something to do with it (like someone mentioned above). Oh well, there are lots of other companies to shop for.
I'm pretty new, and have done a few Market Force shops. What is the benefit of booking the latest date and then rescheduling? Just curious because I sometimes don't take their shops because the dates are so far out.
The benefit for me is that I have more time to get more shops to structure a route. I seldom do a MF shop alone unless it’s in my town. The other shops can be from MF itself or other MSC’s.
I don't see a benefit unless you have to have the shop no matter the fee or reimbursement. Booking one of their shops too far in advance will rule you out of possible bonuses.
@7star wrote:

I don't see a benefit unless you have to have the shop no matter the fee or reimbursement. Booking one of their shops too far in advance will rule you out of possible bonuses.

I’m in a highly competitive market in California. I almost never see any bonuses here. If I wait, the shop will be gone. So if I want to do a particular shop, I need to select it as soon as it’s posted, even if it’s a few weeks in the future. I then try to build a route around it.
Makes sense to me. We have to adjust to the market around us. I would do the same if I was in your position.


@kenasch wrote:

@7star wrote:

I don't see a benefit unless you have to have the shop no matter the fee or reimbursement. Booking one of their shops too far in advance will rule you out of possible bonuses.

I’m in a highly competitive market in California. I almost never see any bonuses here. If I wait, the shop will be gone. So if I want to do a particular shop, I need to select it as soon as it’s posted, even if it’s a few weeks in the future. I then try to build a route around it.
They have some shops that I LOVE. One in particular is a healthy eats restaurant that is fairly new in my area and reimburses $15. I would eat there on my own dime. It's reimbursement only but that's great. It's about 14 miles from home. So, I get that shop assigned and then layer other shops there and back again. Win win.
@JASFLALMT wrote:

They have some shops that I LOVE. One in particular is a healthy eats restaurant that is fairly new in my area and reimburses $15. I would eat there on my own dime. It's reimbursement only but that's great. It's about 14 miles from home. So, I get that shop assigned and then layer other shops there and back again. Win win.

You’re lucky. All I had near me were the fast food, greasy cheeseburger and Chinese food shops. I’ll miss them, but maybe I’ll be healthier now that I won’t be eating them every week tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 02:15AM by Zbog.
The healthy eatery only gets shopped once every 4 months or so and it does get snapped up quickly. You do have a point about the FF shops. I don't take those, though I like the fast casual burger joint a couple of times a year and the Chinese food shop I will take when bonused. Maybe now that you aren't doing a bunch of food shops you can sign up with companies that pay fees and start making some money instead of just getting reimbursed for food!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login