Photo ID Requested ((?))

Hello fellow shoppers.
I'm fairly new to shopping. I've been going at it for about a month now.
I wanted to sign up for another company (SS), but the difference is that they want to
have my photo ID. With identity theft concerns, I would like to know if anyone of you have provided your govt. photo id.
Thanks

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

As long as it is on the list of MS companies at the bottom of the page here,AND you contacted them (NOT visa-versa) no problem.

Based in MD, near DC
Shopping from the Carolinas to New York
Have video cam; will travel

Poor customer service? Don't get mad; get video.
I won't - for that very reason, ID Theft, data breach. If people can hack bank and credit bureau, I won't trust this meekly MSCs that have no budget to hire security skill crews. There are plenty of MSCs that don't require your ID.
Do they require or just ask for it as an option? There are some opportunities that it makes sense to have this as a requirement. Without it in file you may not be able to see or otherwise perform certain opportunities. If it doesn't make sense, then do not provide it. If it is required, then don't sign up with them if it bothers you.

My posts are solely based on my opinions and for my entertainment, contact a professional if you need real advice.

When you get in debt you become a slave. - Andrew Jackson
I agree; I draw the line at providing a driver license. Too much personal info.

Most/all states have an ID card (which is different from a driver's license). I'm not sure what kind of info shows up on an ID card but if it doesn't list your DOB; that might be an option.
Gooseman ^^^ First of all, welcome to the forum.
Secondly, I agree with you. The DL and IDs now as well show more information. Some places I go want you to scan the back, so who knows what else is there? I just learned of a few shops also who want you to opt-out of the privacy policy. This is just too much!
@Gooseman wrote:

I agree; I draw the line at providing a driver license. Too much personal info.

Most/all states have an ID card (which is different from a driver's license). I'm not sure what kind of info shows up on an ID card but if it doesn't list your DOB; that might be an option.

You can have one or the other, not both. An ID card is so one can properly identify themselves if they do not have a drivers license. It will have the DOB, picture and security measures equal to a drivers license.

You can look the cards up online for any state. I've done that to verify if an out of state license is legitimate.

My posts are solely based on my opinions and for my entertainment, contact a professional if you need real advice.

When you get in debt you become a slave. - Andrew Jackson


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2020 02:26AM by isaiah58.
@isaiah58 wrote:

@Gooseman wrote:

I agree; I draw the line at providing a driver license. Too much personal info.

Most/all states have an ID card (which is different from a driver's license). I'm not sure what kind of info shows up on an ID card but if it doesn't list your DOB; that might be an option.

You can have one or the other, not both. An ID card is so one can properly identify themselves if they do not have a drivers license. It will have the DOB, picture and security measures equal to a drivers license.

Not true, one is certainly permitted to have both an ID card and drivers license, of course they have different uses. You need a DL to fly and an ID card will not work at the airport. I tend to carry my ID instead of my DL when I don't drive or fly bec. it is easier to replace the ID instead of the DL just in case.......
I use my passport. It has less information about me but is accepted almost anywhere that a home address is not required. A couple of well paid bank shops will cover the cost, in case you do not already have one. Also great for apartment shops.

Based in MD, near DC
Shopping from the Carolinas to New York
Have video cam; will travel

Poor customer service? Don't get mad; get video.
I think this might depend on state. I live in Virginia. We're only allowed to have one or the other here. From our DMV site:
**Adult ID cards are issued to an individual age 15 and above who does not hold a learner's permit or driver's license issued by any state within the United States.**

Also, just because someone wasn't sure what was on it, also from VA DMV, again, I'm sure state specific:
What Is Displayed On an Adult ID Card
The ID card displays the following information:

Customer number
Date of birth, height and sex
Expiration date and issue date
Full legal name, address and signature
Full-face photograph
Statement "Not a license to operate a motor vehicle"
Statement "Organ donor information"
Statement "Under 21 until date", if applicable
Statement "Under 18 until date", if applicable

And now, they want us to update/upgrade to Real ID in order to access any kind of secured facility, including flying. And, again, I'm sure this is potentially specific from state to state, I just had to replace my VA DL, but it wasn't expired. I just lost it. It cost me $20 and I had to walk into the DMV and say, I need a new one. I didn't even have to bring paperwork. Now, that being said..... I took several trips to the DMV because, well, I refuse to wait for two hours to do it, so, I spent a little time popping over there, seeing how the line was, and then going and doing whatever else I had to do. And for this one I had to go into the actual DMV. Usually you can do that online (and I tried, but there was a problem with mine, so I had to actually go into the DMV location. Bummer!)

@G3B wrote:

@isaiah58 wrote:

@Gooseman wrote:

I agree; I draw the line at providing a driver license. Too much personal info.

Most/all states have an ID card (which is different from a driver's license). I'm not sure what kind of info shows up on an ID card but if it doesn't list your DOB; that might be an option.

You can have one or the other, not both. An ID card is so one can properly identify themselves if they do not have a drivers license. It will have the DOB, picture and security measures equal to a drivers license.

Not true, one is certainly permitted to have both an ID card and drivers license, of course they have different uses. You need a DL to fly and an ID card will not work at the airport. I tend to carry my ID instead of my DL when I don't drive or fly bec. it is easier to replace the ID instead of the DL just in case.......
I agree many states won’t allow a state ID and a DL and I believe state issued IDs are fine for flying. There are many people without DL who fly.

As far as drawing the line at showing the ID to a company because your birthday is on there...I am pretty sure all the companies I am signed up require that in their applications.
I have never given my real DOB to any MSC (or any company that doesn't truly need to know my DOB for that matter).

Maybe I should get a fake ID and use it for MSC's.... getting a fake ID online seems to be readily available.
If a shop requires certain age groups (bar shop, student loan shop, ID check shop), I believe MSC has a right to ask for the ID, not necessarily a DL where it has your personal information, but a passport or some other type of state ID. I provided my ID but I blacked out the address, and they were OK with it. I would also imagine that for foreign companies where they do not have an individual identifier such as SSN or TIN where they cannot verify the identity of the shopper, they would like to verify the identity before assigning shops. Shopper fraud is not uncommon.
Using a fake ID for MS is a proven method for getting banned. MSC owners, managers and schedulers talk to one another.

Based in MD, near DC
Shopping from the Carolinas to New York
Have video cam; will travel

Poor customer service? Don't get mad; get video.
The MSC needs a certain amount of personal information in order to legally pay you.... SS#, DOB, legal name, etc.

Hard work builds character and homework is good for your soul.
I am trying to think what is on the DL that isn’t all ready in the info you have given to the MSC. I don’t see what the big deal is. And for that matter if they have your name some basic googling can get any other info. Of course I went to college when your full SS number was your student ID and used for looking up your grade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2020 02:04PM by Traveliz.
I was in the service when they started using your social # back before everyone had computers and that was not deemed a bad idea.

@Traveliz wrote:

I am trying to think what is on the DL that isn’t all ready in the info you have given to the MSC. I don’t see what the big deal is. And for that matter if they have your name some basic googling can get any other info. Of course I went to college when your full SS number was your student ID and used for looking up your grade.
I disagree. They don't need to invade our privacy and still be legal to pay us if we don't earn more than $600/yr from them. They can paypal or mail the check without gettting too much of our personal info. I told them upfront. I won't do more than 600/yr.
@MFJohnston wrote:

The MSC needs a certain amount of personal information in order to legally pay you.... SS#, DOB, legal name, etc.
@KV wrote:

I disagree. They don't need to invade our privacy and still be legal to pay us if we don't earn more than $600/yr from them. They can paypal or mail the check without gettting too much of our personal info. I told them upfront. I won't do more than 600/yr.
@MFJohnston wrote:

The MSC needs a certain amount of personal information in order to legally pay you.... SS#, DOB, legal name, etc.

You do realize that whether you make 6.00, 600.00, or 6000.00 dollars you are required to report it?
By law, an MSC has to report every penny they pay to anybody to the IRS. They just don't have to send us an accounting of it if it is less than $600. Verifying a shopper's identity before paying is certainly appropriate and being asked to show picture ID is not considered an "invasion of privacy."

@KV wrote:

I disagree. They don't need to invade our privacy and still be legal to pay us if we don't earn more than $600/yr from them. They can paypal or mail the check without gettting too much of our personal info. I told them upfront. I won't do more than 600/yr.
@MFJohnston wrote:

The MSC needs a certain amount of personal information in order to legally pay you.... SS#, DOB, legal name, etc.

Hard work builds character and homework is good for your soul.
You play by your rules and I'll play by mine. Given that most of us are signed up with dozens of MSC companies I pity you the day one of them gets hacked (and it will definitely happen).
You won't be able to get both in the same state.

@Gooseman wrote:

I agree; I draw the line at providing a driver license. Too much personal info.

Most/all states have an ID card (which is different from a driver's license). I'm not sure what kind of info shows up on an ID card but if it doesn't list your DOB; that might be an option.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login