Is it just me??

It makes my blood boil when MSCs post jobs for ridiculously low compensation. Usually I'll just ignore them but then some other shopper accepts them. This makes them think it's okay to offer $0.75 for a complete photo shop or $12 for an out of town audit. Please consider this before you accept low-paying jobs!!

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

At $15 per hour minimum wage, many if not most shops compensate well below the minimum, especially if all time and costs spent on the project are included.

In the early days of IC-ing, guidelines suggested that ICs charge for contract work an overall hourly rate that was 2-3 times what an average employee doing the same work would earn. The extra would cover the costs of benefits like insurance (health, life, disability, workers comp, liability, etc.) that most companies paid their employees. The extra would also help cover overhead expenses, unreimbursed expenses related to a specific job (like auto expenses) as well as time spent by the IC searching for work.

Seventy five cents ($0.75) per job won't cut it.
If I actually saw a job posted for $.75, I would send an email to the scheduler and ask them to confirm the rate as their must be a typo as there must be some mistake on such a low pay being offered to the shopper.
Every shopper who takes such jobs, no matter what his/her reasoning, helps keep the pay low in this business, and that's the way its been for the 13 years I've been shopping. I don't expect it to change.
A totally different perspective: When shoppers take those 75 cent jobs, they are enabling the MSC to maintain a profit margin, thus staying in business. Not to mention enhancing the bonus pool for those of us whose absolutely closest possible assignment is 45 miles away.
@ceasesmith wrote:

A totally different perspective: When shoppers take those 75 cent jobs, they are enabling the MSC to maintain a profit margin, thus staying in business. Not to mention enhancing the bonus pool for those of us whose absolutely closest possible assignment is 45 miles away.
Hey Ceases, could you clarify the bonus pool enhancement theory. My 50 year-old brain is a little slow... smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2021 10:38PM by Cece-sasktel.
My take is that when shoppers take those jobs they must be getting some benefit out of doing the job for 75 c. If not they will never take one again. This is all about what the market will bear. Do not take the shop if it does not pay enough for you. If the msc run out of shoppers willing to take a job at that price they will increase the fee. In the meantime you can concentrate on other jobs.
Sure. If an MSC has $200 to get 10 shops done, and gets 9 of them done at $5 each, and the 10th one is out in the middle of nowhere, they have $155 to get that job completed. Caveat: This is a gross oversimplification.

And, of course, it behooves them to fill it for as little as possible, as $155 contributes to their profit margin and allows them to continue employing staff and engaging shoppers.

And your brain ain't slow.
@ceasesmith wrote:

Sure. If an MSC has $200 to get 10 shops done, and gets 9 of them done at $5 each, and the 10th one is out in the middle of nowhere, they have $155 to get that job completed. Caveat: This is a gross oversimplification.

And, of course, it behooves them to fill it for as little as possible, as $155 contributes to their profit margin and allows them to continue employing staff and engaging shoppers.

And your brain ain't slow.

Also think of all of us who live in large cities with thousands and thousands of shoppers and where bonuses were few and far between. We are in the twilight of the recent bonuses due to covid and soon we will go back to no bonuses and base fees that are the same across the nation and even harder to live on in a high priced city. We here are doing shops year round at base so as to leave lots of money for the msc to spend and so we can salivate over the bonuses those of you who live in bonus land write about. I do know you need to travel for a living. But keep in mind you can drive 60 miles in the time it takes me to drive 12. And you can park for free right in front of the store. Just like to get my side of the picture out there every once in a while.
@ceasesmith wrote:

Sure. If an MSC has $200 to get 10 shops done, and gets 9 of them done at $5 each, and the 10th one is out in the middle of nowhere, they have $155 to get that job completed. Caveat: This is a gross oversimplification.

And, of course, it behooves them to fill it for as little as possible, as $155 contributes to their profit margin and allows them to continue employing staff and engaging shoppers.

And your brain ain't slow.

Well that's something I never would have thought of. Thanks Cease. It does change my perspective somewhat. And my brain begs to differ.
RANT AHEAD:

I actually came here to rant about a "Fun and easy" shop that was emailed to me within the past 24 hours because I really need to get this off my chest.

The company wants to you: Start your car with gas prices in California currently OVER $4/gallon, drive to a pet store, buy some particular product, drive home, feed it to your dog, MAKE AND UPLOAD A VIDEO, probably featuring your dog eating the product?? Oh yeah, and on top of that answer a "simple" survey. [Which we all know is code for there are 50 separate questions and it takes 30 minutes, but hey there is no essay to write so it's considered simple.]

For.. :: DRUM ROLL PLEASE:: $5 + product reimbursement. That's not a typo. The offer is $5. They don't say what the product is. It could be 1 can of dog food, ffs. Also, product reimbursement IS NOT PAYMENT and stop pretending it is. That dog food company is just going to write if off as a business expense.. AT YOUR EXPENSE!

FIVE DOLLARS! FIVE DOLLARS IS WHAT THEY ARE OFFERING FOR THIS!! With my time+gas, I would LOSE MONEY. Five dollars barely buys a cup of coffee these days.

Get outta here with your $5. This is a total insult.

I've been mystery shopping since the early 90's, back when everything was sent through snail mail. Recently I've pretty much given up on it due to the shameful fees they are offering. I have found other work online and I don't have to wait to be reimbursed or worry my $100 restaurant shop will be rejected because one photo is slightly blurry or something. Last month I made $1800++ just working part time and I never had to leave the house. There's a ton of online work if you look: Micro work, transcription, one on one interviews, website usertesting, etc. The work is out there if you look!

/end rant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2021 03:45PM by crayon.
Please, tell me where to look!

@crayon wrote:

RANT AHEAD:

I actually came here to rant about a "Fun and easy" shop that was emailed to me within the past 24 hours because I really need to get this off my chest.

The company wants to you: Start your car with gas prices in California currently OVER $4/gallon, drive to a pet store, buy some particular product, drive home, feed it to your dog, MAKE AND UPLOAD A VIDEO, probably featuring your dog eating the product?? Oh yeah, and on top of that answer a "simple" survey. [Which we all know is code for there are 50 separate questions and it takes 30 minutes, but hey there is no essay to write so it's considered simple.]

For.. :: DRUM ROLL PLEASE:: $5 + product reimbursement. That's not a typo. The offer is $5. They don't say what the product is. It could be 1 can of dog food, ffs. Also, product reimbursement IS NOT PAYMENT and stop pretending it is. That dog food company is just going to write if off as a business expense.. AT YOUR EXPENSE!

FIVE DOLLARS! FIVE DOLLARS IS WHAT THEY ARE OFFERING FOR THIS!! With my time+gas, I would LOSE MONEY. Five dollars barely buys a cup of coffee these days.

Get outta here with your $5. This is a total insult.

I've been mystery shopping since the early 90's, back when everything was sent through snail mail. Recently I've pretty much given up on it due to the shameful fees they are offering. I have found other work online and I don't have to wait to be reimbursed or worry my $100 restaurant shop will be rejected because one photo is slightly blurry or something. Last month I made $1800++ just working part time and I never had to leave the house. There's a ton of online work if you look: Micro work, transcription, one on one interviews, website usertesting, etc. The work is out there if you look!

/end rant
Ceasesmith: our voice of speed expertise! winking smiley
(Edited multiple times to get the emoticon right...(

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2021 04:31PM by Susan L..
I just wish people would stop taking such low pay! Because my son does doordash I joined a couple of forums and while they might sometimes do a tad more, base pay for them is $3. I mean at least they have a base pay, unlike us.
Only left part of your rant. anyone who needs all scroll up.
There is a msc that I have done a similar shop for and have seen it advertised recently. They reimbursed $30 for dog food plus a $10 fee with no videos of dogs eating. I could purchase an item, whatever I wanted for up to $30 and got a flat of cans of a fancy dog food for my dog as a treat. I would do it again but unfortunately I no longer have my dog. ???? (I put a sad face emoji here but it turned into question marks!) They are available in the $4 a gallon land where you live. Sorry I cannot tell you the company. I do see it listed sometimes on presto shops.

@crayon wrote:

RANT AHEAD:

For.. :: DRUM ROLL PLEASE:: $5 + product reimbursement. That's not a typo. The offer is $5. They don't say what the product is. It could be 1 can of dog food, ffs. Also, product reimbursement IS NOT PAYMENT and stop pretending it is. That dog food company is just going to write if off as a business expense.. AT YOUR EXPENSE!

FIVE DOLLARS! FIVE DOLLARS IS WHAT THEY ARE OFFERING FOR THIS!! With my time+gas, I would LOSE MONEY. Five dollars barely buys a cup of coffee these days.

/end rant


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2021 07:23PM by sandyf.
@sandyf wrote:

There is a msc that I have done a similar shop for and have seen it advertised recently. They reimbursed $30 for dog food plus a $10 fee with no videos of dogs eating. .....They are available in the $4 a gallon land where you live. .....I do see it listed sometimes on presto shops.

If it is in the goodness of your heart to still do the dog food shops, a local food bank told me they need pet food donations.

When families fall on hard times, they don't always get rid of the family pet that the kids are attached to.
Sandyf,
Look at "BBCode test posts" on the General Chat section of this forum. You have to use old-fashioned punctuation marks to make emojis. If you paste an image if a sad or smiley face, it will show up as a bunch of question marks.


@sandyf wrote:

(I put a sad face emoji here but it turned into question marks!)
Amen! But could you tell us where to find these online jobs. Pretty please.

@crayon wrote:

RANT AHEAD:

I actually came here to rant about a "Fun and easy" shop that was emailed to me within the past 24 hours because I really need to get this off my chest.

The company wants to you: Start your car with gas prices in California currently OVER $4/gallon, drive to a pet store, buy some particular product, drive home, feed it to your dog, MAKE AND UPLOAD A VIDEO, probably featuring your dog eating the product?? Oh yeah, and on top of that answer a "simple" survey. [Which we all know is code for there are 50 separate questions and it takes 30 minutes, but hey there is no essay to write so it's considered simple.]

For.. :: DRUM ROLL PLEASE:: $5 + product reimbursement. That's not a typo. The offer is $5. They don't say what the product is. It could be 1 can of dog food, ffs. Also, product reimbursement IS NOT PAYMENT and stop pretending it is. That dog food company is just going to write if off as a business expense.. AT YOUR EXPENSE!

FIVE DOLLARS! FIVE DOLLARS IS WHAT THEY ARE OFFERING FOR THIS!! With my time+gas, I would LOSE MONEY. Five dollars barely buys a cup of coffee these days.

Get outta here with your $5. This is a total insult.

I've been mystery shopping since the early 90's, back when everything was sent through snail mail. Recently I've pretty much given up on it due to the shameful fees they are offering. I have found other work online and I don't have to wait to be reimbursed or worry my $100 restaurant shop will be rejected because one photo is slightly blurry or something. Last month I made $1800++ just working part time and I never had to leave the house. There's a ton of online work if you look: Micro work, transcription, one on one interviews, website usertesting, etc. The work is out there if you look!

/end rant
Yep but for $10 fee for a shop and longish report in an expensive dog food store my time is better spent just buying a bag of decent dog food out of pocket to donate and doing a shop I spend a lot less time on for the same $10 fee. The $30 reimbursement at this shop was the only reason for me to take the shop.

But thanks for the suggestion to everyone. Yes, the food banks are a good place for dog people to get dog food. I do not think my local food banks will take donations from unapproved individuals tho. I have in the past gone to a local park and offered dog food to homeless with pets. Also our schools have food and clothing drives for their less fortunate families and they accept donations from individuals as do the shelters. My vet houses pets for a private shelter so I can give there as well.

@wrosie wrote:


If it is in the goodness of your heart to still do the dog food shops, a local food bank told me they need pet food donations.

When families fall on hard times, they don't always get rid of the family pet that the kids are attached to.
A civic minded group was asking for gently used bras and other items for people who were starting over after being rescued from sex slavery and other dire conditions. I would just give these things if I had them during the collection drive.

But other people need something in return. Folks who do not mind rummaging around in thrift stores could get paid for finding these items. If they were eligible (not out of rotation), they could mail or ship them to the requesting agency and be paid for that wee task.

Is money always the only consideration?

The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man. ~ Unknown
_____
I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born. - Ronald Reagan
_____
I doubt it, There are lots of people in this country and most likely elsewhere too that donate goods and also money out of the kindness of their heart. But if you do mystery shop and see an opportunity to get something to donate that would be an added bonus.
Shop-et -al wrote: ...
But other people need something in return. Folks who do not mind rummaging around in thrift stores could get paid for finding these items. If they were eligible (not out of rotation), they could mail or ship them to the requesting agency and be paid for that wee task.

Is money always the only consideration?[/quote]
I haven't shopped in probably 18 months. Came back to the forum to look at what's going on and am thinking maybe I'm not going to waste my time logging into companies to search for shops....
I SCHEDULE THE DOG FOOD/TREAT SHOPS ...The complete shop info is below.
That shop pays $10, plus an $18/$36 reimbursement AND you don't even have to go in the store. You can order it online and PICK IT UP CURBSIDE (Free curbside, no fee either.) The video is a ONE MINUTE MAX(it literally cuts off at 1 min) and there are 4 questions. The video is to just feed your dog a treat, or food. You can shop more than one shop at a time, plus you get paid via PayPal 15 days after your shop. I literally just started scheduling these yesterday. If this appeals to you, please apply online. Thank you for being a valued shopper. I hope I get a chance to work with you in the future. Have a wonderful night. UPDATE- I should note there are two different programs for this project.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2021 04:09AM by Michellescheduler.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login