Workman's Comp / General Liability Insurance?

Has anyone gotten their own policy? Im paying 5.2% out of my approved invoice for jobs I do. Thinking of getting my own policy. I'll be required to show WC and GL insurance. Does anyone have their own? Are the premiums worth it?

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

The premiums for WC in some states might be grossly higher than others (like IL vs. IN). I would probably only get a separate policy if I did this full time.
If you were to be actually injured while working, your state work comp board would most likely force the mystery shopping company to cover you. The idea that we are independent contractors is a bit of sham. On the one hand we have some element of choice in whether or not to take a job and might be able to negotiate pay. On the other hand, we have to follow their shop instructions. And having to follow shop instructions = employment. The mystery shopping companies are the real independent contractors who hire others to do work for them. For example, if I were to hire a painter, gardener, plumber - he/she is an expert independent contractor who has his own specialty business and a can hire others to work the job with him/her. Contact your local DIR for advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2023 08:20PM by cherubino3.
When I hire a contractor (plumber, carpenter, window washer, appliance installer), they are required to show that they have worker's compensation insurance (if I ask). Worker's Compensation only covers employees of business entities. Frankly, I do not think that if I was injured doing a mystery shop the NJ Division of Labor would try to force the MSC to cover me. First, they would ask me for proof of employment including my starting date, hours I worked, paychecks, etc. I would have none of those. A contractor is not an employee. California has been trying unsuccessfully to classify Uber and Lyft drivers (and others) as employees, and as far as I can tell, they have not succeeded.

I have an LLC that I use for consulting. Some large companies have required that I provide proof of general liability insurance, workers' compensation, etc. when they contract for my services. There are some specialized insurance companies that provide very short-term policies at low cost (since the probability of a claim during a 1 or 2-day period is low). I often opt to be an employee of an agency that serves as my broker. They get a cut of my compensation, but they worry about insurance, etc., and can FAX all of the required proof to the company that is using my services.

Shopping Southeast Pennsylvania, Delaware above the canal, and South Jersey since 2008
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login