Do you use a grammar program for reports?

Do you ever use a grammar checking program for your narratives? I popped one of my narratives into a free online checker and had to laugh at some of the corrections. I am by no means perfect in my writing, but that program seemed way off.

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

I have used Libre Office and the built in spell checker of Chrome as well as Firefox as well as Office 2010 and Office 2013/360 on the same flawed report and Office 2010 picked up sentence run on and sentence fragments better than the newer versions of Office. MS actually reduced the spelling engine to make the code universal to allow it to run on inferior hardware.

Office 2010 has the best spell check of all the products I have tried.
My ear is my grammar checker. After I write my narrative, I will read it out loud to see if it "sounds" right.

.
Have PV-500 & willing to travel.
"Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard." (The Fourth Doctor, The Face of Evil, 1977)

"Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.” J. Andrew Taylor

"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him." Galileo Galilei
@James Bond 007.5 wrote:

My ear is my grammar checker. After I write my narrative, I will read it out loud to see if it "sounds" right.

I do the same thing, but not everyone has an 'ear' for it. When I was teaching teenagers several years ago I discovered many of them were horrible writers. Even when I read them what they'd written down they couldn't find the mistakes.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. Eleanor Roosevelt
A read-through back check is typically enough to catch any major grammar mistakes. Chrome has a built-in spell checker as well.

Shopping the Greater Denver Area, Colorado Springs and in-between in Colorado. 31 year old male and willing to travel!
I am more interested in catching errors such as 'to or too' and problems like run on or fragmented sentences. I have s habit of run on srntences ...
Pick up a copy of "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves." I don't think there are any programs that will reliably catch to and too, or they're, their, and there, etc.

The rule I learned about to and too is that if the word can be replaced by "also" and still make sense, then you would use "too".

.
Have PV-500 & willing to travel.
"Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard." (The Fourth Doctor, The Face of Evil, 1977)

"Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.” J. Andrew Taylor

"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him." Galileo Galilei
LOVE Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. Funny story...I saw the book in a magazine review and rushed out to buy it. Shortly after that my birthday came up...and my assistant proudly presented me with another copy of that book! She was so proud she had found it, knowing it was the perfect book for me. She didn't know just how perfect it was!
@James Bond 007.5 wrote:

Pick up a copy of "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves." I don't think there are any programs that will reliably catch to and too, or they're, their, and there, etc.

The rule I learned about to and too is that if the word can be replaced by "also" and still make sense, then you would use "too".

Grammarly has caught over 90% of mine. Only thing about grammar checkers is that sometimes they want to completely redo the report. Was writing up a report on a damaged auto. It wanted to change the "the leading edge of the rear door on the drivers side was slightly bent inward." To something about the tither was misplaced. Have no clue where that came from. And what does a car door have to do with paying tithes to a church?
@2stepps wrote:

@James Bond 007.5 wrote:

Pick up a copy of "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves." I don't think there are any programs that will reliably catch to and too, or they're, their, and there, etc.

The rule I learned about to and too is that if the word can be replaced by "also" and still make sense, then you would use "too".

Grammarly has caught over 90% of mine. Only thing about grammar checkers is that sometimes they want to completely redo the report. Was writing up a report on a damaged auto. It wanted to change the "the leading edge of the rear door on the drivers side was slightly bent inward." To something about the tither was misplaced. Have no clue where that came from. And what does a car door have to do with paying tithes to a church?

Do you use the free version or the subscription based one?
@wozswoman wrote:

@2stepps wrote:

@James Bond 007.5 wrote:

Pick up a copy of "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves." I don't think there are any programs that will reliably catch to and too, or they're, their, and there, etc.

The rule I learned about to and too is that if the word can be replaced by "also" and still make sense, then you would use "too".

Grammarly has caught over 90% of mine. Only thing about grammar checkers is that sometimes they want to completely redo the report. Was writing up a report on a damaged auto. It wanted to change the "the leading edge of the rear door on the drivers side was slightly bent inward." To something about the tither was misplaced. Have no clue where that came from. And what does a car door have to do with paying tithes to a church?

Do you use the free version or the subscription based one?
I use the free version. The one about the car door was using the free version of Ginger.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login