Eliminated Because of Age

@spicy1 wrote:

What could possibly be the reason for an age restriction of 65 at a coffee shop?
Perhaps, given the median ages of those who work there, the client perceives that its employees treat seniors differently than the typical customer. Or that seniors are more likely to use a discount that changes something. Who knows? What you do know is that you're not the demographic they're measuring. I'm sure most of us have been disqualified from a particular shop due to other factors. Maybe you're a non-smoker and the casino only wants people who smoke. Or maybe a cruise line is measuring security's responses to [insert gender/race here]. Or you don't wear a big enough/small enough size to shop a particular retailer. Just move on to something else.

“I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence.” ~ Frederick Douglass

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

Perhaps their research shows retirees visit 17 times a month but only spend $2.50 per visit but non-retirees visit 12 times a month and spend $6.50 per visit so that's the demographic they want feedback from.

Talking tough is easy when it's other people's evil and you're judging what they do and don't believe.
@isaiah58 wrote:

BTW, I am not aware of the BWW age restriction mentioned above. Where did you see that on the site or guidelines?
Here is what i see: "Your age must be 18 years or More"

Perhaps it was there before and isn't now? I haven't done one in probably 3 years.

Talking tough is easy when it's other people's evil and you're judging what they do and don't believe.
@ChrisCooper wrote:

Just scanned my inbox and saw that I'm ineligible for many shops because I'm: not the right gender, not the right age, am not an existing customer of client, and do not speak a foreign language. None of these restrictions are discrimination. I just don't currently meet the demographic the client is looking for. It's not personal; it's business.

But, I think OP should have voluntarily excluded himself from the coffee shops because of his personal relationship with the owner. OP, did you disclose that information to the scheduler? If I were the MSC and knew about your friendship with the owner, I never would have assigned a single shop to you. Consider yourself lucky that you got 100 shops.

Slight semantics correction - It is discrimination by definition. HOWEVER, discrimination is not inherently illegal or immoral. There are areas where discrimination *is* illegal (housing, employment, etc), but this is not one of those cases.

Everything else, I agree with. I am single and therefore ineligible for shops that require a married couple. I am over 30, so I can't do tobacco compliance. The MSCs and/or clients are by definition discriminating but it's not a violation of EEOC and is perfectly - in my opinion - legal and understandable discrimination.
@iShop123 wrote:

Perhaps, given the median ages of those who work there, the client perceives that its employees treat seniors differently than the typical customer.

And that's an important point. Our job is to test service and performance of the staff...not to give opinion.

The client may not be as concerned about how the customer perceives the experience, as how the employee treats the customer.

If they feel that their senior customer base is locked in, or that employees find it easier to smile and welcome people who are older to them, they may be focusing on how the employees treat their peers.
I go for my morning coffee almost daily and meet my senior friends who are 55 to 70+me. We are all treated with a fun attitude in a friendly way and feel no different treatment is given compared to the younger kids. I think it is about money, younger ones especially married Mothers coming in with kids get the more expensive drinks and a snack therefore spending much more than a senior who buys one small coffee. May not be about age but about money. Coffee shops are today a meeting place for all ages, age shouldn't matter taking timings for making a cup of coffee won't help the companies in anyway just because of age. I know all the Managers, employees and go because i am made to feel comfortable, that's their job. I think it has become nothing more than a phase and clients are buying into it very steriotyped. I don't care because I hated the SB shops and didn't do them when I could. I enjoy Peets much more and sorry they have the age thing. I think there are better shops out there without the age block, so not too worried about a coffee shop.

When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping....
The asge restricftion just appeared a few months ago, I think. I stopped mystery shopping for about 8 months so am not certain when it kicked in.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. This is hardly the first age restriction shop I have encountered, but it is one I was used to doing and did very, very well. But everyoine reading this is right if they say I take this too seriously. Fifty years from now, who will care ? But some interesting facts have come out of this discussion, and I am glad I fomented it. Besides, as I mentioned earlier, a brand new, splendiferous Starbucks just opened a few months ago not far from my home, and I have always preferred their coffee over that of the chain in question anyway. But to all of you, no matter what your attitude has been in this discussion, thanks for your participation.,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 06:00PM by Richard94611.
That I knew the man who started the chain 51 years ago certainlky doesn't cloud my ability to see if the condiment counter is clean. I think he has been dead for years, and I would bet that chain is a publicly held company. But anyway, fifty years from now who will care ? Thanks for your participation in this discussion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 05:59PM by Richard94611.
Chris, if I had been asked if I knew the man who started the chain 51 years ago, I would have said I did. I am pretty sure he doesn't own the company these days, and pretty sure he isn't even living now. The fact that I knew him 51 years ago in no way has affected my ability to count scraps of toilet paper on a restroom floor. Rest assured, the reports I did were all VERY detailed (I got compliments on them for that reason) and objective.
BGRIFFIN< your response is one of the most logical, reasonable ones I have seen in this discussion.
Shop-et-al, your analysis is really a good one, and I thank you for it. I think what offended me the most is that after several years of loyal and top-notch performance for this MSC, I suddenly became excluded from these coffee shops, even though I have been over their maximum age for more than a decade. The MSC should have known that I have given them accurate and loyal service for a long, long time and should have treated me with consideration (consideration is not the job of the employees of a MSC, you say ? It most certainly is part of it.). If you work for an MSC, maybe this post will make you think a little more carefully about how you treat your contractors.
[millennialmagazine.com]

The Appeal Of Coffee Shops For Millennials

I dont drink coffee but i hang at trendy coffee houses w/friends which appeal to younger crowd. at night they serve alcohol, have slam poetry & play loud music. many older people dont like that atmosphere.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 07:04PM by MSNinja.
Nice try, but fraud is a "deliberate intention to deceive," which in this case is not present.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 07:11PM by Richard94611.
You know the solution to that problem ? Stop reading my posts. Some people here have come up with a few very good points about why a MSC might slap on an age restriction in this case. And my comments about employees of MSCs are right on the mark, because they and we OPs are in this together, and deserve good treatment from each other. Get over it. But I will continue to respond to those who continue to discuss this subject.
not sure who op is addressing but i posted coffee drinker facts that op demanded. then i posted link to article about younger coffee drinker demographics. both totally on topic. just because op doesnt like the facts dont make them wrong. to quote op get over it.

whats funny is i just recd email shop offer for new coffee shop. its geared to younger crowd & open until 12am most nights & 2am on weekends.
If you are out of the age range, which I am for many shops, just go to the next shop you can do. I think sometimes because of my age I get bonuses knowing that I fit the shop. Relax, enjoy, stop stressing.
OP, please, let it go. You said you don't need the fee, so just get a cup of coffee and enjoy it without having to write a report afterwards. No one likes aging out of an assignment, but it happens to all of us when we reach that point.

Sign up with A Closer Look (not the MSC for this client). They have a pizza assignment and the age limit is 98. And there is a location just 2 doors away from the coffee shop at the Galleria in San Fran. Give it a whirl!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2017 07:31PM by ChrisCooper.
The only mention of fraud was in response to a shopper changing their profile DOB to get shops. How is that not intentional deceit?

Equal rights for others does not mean fewer rights for you. It's not pie.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time and it really annoys the pig.
@lisastl, I mentioned fraud in terms of knowing the owner of a chain and doing shops there. I mentioned it twice I think. Allow me to repeat myself a third time here smiling smiley
Sorry. By page 3 I need a scorecardsmiling smiley

Equal rights for others does not mean fewer rights for you. It's not pie.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time and it really annoys the pig.
Off subject but remembering NSS and my favorite restaurant done (by me) monthly...owner died MSC closed.
I lost the restaurant. Went into severe mourning for 3 days, then listening to my daughter who said, "Mom get off the pity pot". Coffee is minor than what's going on in life. Be happy this is your biggest hard kock. Many companies and people throw the aging to the curb, sad fact of life. Go to your new and improved Starbucks, have a cup of Joe and be happy your not in the the senior center...sad smiley #enough is enough

When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping....
@Richard94611 wrote:

Irene, you are right. Thanks. I am at the new, splendiferous Starbucks right now. Cheers!
I'm happy for you, we also have a new improved two story SB....not a bad place to be..cheers...smiling smiley

When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping....
@Irene_L.A. wrote:

Go to your new and improved Starbucks, have a cup of Joe and be happy your not in the the senior center...sad smiley #enough is enough
exactly. be thankful that youre not one of these statistics..
[www.cnn.com]
@bgriffin wrote:

@isaiah58 wrote:

BTW, I am not aware of the BWW age restriction mentioned above. Where did you see that on the site or guidelines?
Here is what i see: "Your age must be 18 years or More"

Perhaps it was there before and isn't now? I haven't done one in probably 3 years.

There may have been bar seat scenarios that had age restrictions. Now that I am thinking more about it, there may have also been other one off scenarios with the previous MSC.

FREE Job listing sites; [www.msjobboard.com]; [www.mystshopsol.com]; [www.jobslinger.com] - Sassie; [www.volition.com] - Various links; [www.mspa-na.org] -MSPA Members; link at bottom of forum page to their extensive list of companies
One reason why there may be an age requirement is to see how someone within a certain age group is treated. Without knowing the name of the restaurant it is hard to speculate. Several years ago when a national restaurant chain was accused of discriminating against a certain race so
the restaurant chain wanted only those of that certain race to shop. Not because they discriminated against other races, but to ensure those of that certain race were treated the same. Being independent contractors there is no discrimination. So, those shops that require a certain demographic there is a reason and sometimes the MSP is not privy to that information.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login