Did my first and last Gleson grocery store shop.

After I took the shop I found out it has 16 pages of reporting, for a $12 fee and $5 reimbursement. I won't be doing that again.

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

What did you get for $5? One apple? Not kidding.

Edit. I think that John means, "Gelson's."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2019 07:10AM by SoCalMama.
Oh, Gelson's! I'm surprised they had a fee.

"Been stuck in the middle of a vendetta between me and myself" -Citizen Cope
I see that all the time and used to shop at Gelson's when I lived in Calabasas, great store, have a nice bakery, but pricey and 16 pages, crazy, I was thinking of doing it, my friend lives up the street, now I really won't take it... good to know.
Cease, no you wouldn't hear of it, aren't you in Nebraska?

Live consciously....


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2019 09:31AM by Irene_L.A..
Irene, they were my grocery store when I lived in Pasadena and the chains went on strike. Trader Joes was also my go to.

"Been stuck in the middle of a vendetta between me and myself" -Citizen Cope
Yep, Nebraska.

We have Safeway, LOL -- the nearest one is an hour away. And I would happily shop it, if it were shopped!

smiling smiley
I didn't even finish the report. The report had about 100 questions to answer, many of them essay types. It would take over an hour just to do the report. For a $12 fee and $5 reimbursement, it's not even worth filling out the report.
@ceasesmith wrote:

Interesting. So you did the shop, but didn't finish the report? Just cancelled?

I was in the area doing other shops. Just filling out the survey would take over an hour. It wasn't worth my time to finish it. I should have cancelled the shop the moment I saw the number of questions on the report. Live and learn. Next time I accept a shop, I'll look over the WHOLE report.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2019 05:42PM by johnb974.
@HonnyBrown wrote:

Irene, they were my grocery store when I lived in Pasadena and the chains went on strike. Trader Joes was also my go to.
Trader Joe's has the best frozen foods and Blizes I must keep in freezer...love them...have been going to TJ's since 1972 the second one opened in Sherman Oaks (our first home), and it's still there. They're not shopped often anymore, and they don't send out emails, they just get picked up. I go there on my own dime.
We don't have Gelsons in my town, but in the Valley where my friend lives. I also love Pasadena, too bad you moved, we could have met.

Live consciously....
@Irene_L.A. wrote:

@HonnyBrown wrote:

Irene, they were my grocery store when I lived in Pasadena and the chains went on strike. Trader Joes was also my go to.
Trader Joe's has the best frozen foods and Blizes I must keep in freezer...love them...have been going to TJ's since 1972 the second one opened in Sherman Oaks (our first home), and it's still there. They're not shopped often anymore, and they don't send out emails, they just get picked up. I go there on my own dime.
We don't have Gelsons in my town, but in the Valley where my friend lives. I also love Pasadena, too bad you moved, we could have met.

Blintz I’ve heard of but never tried a blize! TJ’s potstickers are also great to keep in freezer. And no where else will you find bananas for 19 cents each.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2019 08:12PM by kenasch.
The Gelson's survey is 20 pages, 119 questions. All this for a $12 fee, $5 reimbursement.
I did one for a bonus once. It was right next to the Gulfstream store, in case you need to get a private jet. I got so tipsy from the free wine and cheese. I had to walk it off in the store. The prices are laughable. I think avocados were $4 each during Super Bowl. Some lady picked up chicken wings at the deli. Her bill for that was $80. It’s next to the harbor, so a lot of people are just there to buy expensive wine and booze for their yachts.
@johnb974 wrote:

The Gelson's survey is 20 pages, 119 questions. All this for a $12 fee, $5 reimbursement.
Another good reason to pick just one of a new-to-you (or me) shop!! Thanks for sharing.
After getting used to the LA TJ's, the ones near me in Maryland are a joke. The produce is expensive and dirty, and the selection is limited. People here think they are are a treat, but I know better.

@kenasch wrote:

@Irene_L.A. wrote:

@HonnyBrown wrote:

Irene, they were my grocery store when I lived in Pasadena and the chains went on strike. Trader Joes was also my go to.
Trader Joe's has the best frozen foods and Blizes I must keep in freezer...love them...have been going to TJ's since 1972 the second one opened in Sherman Oaks (our first home), and it's still there. They're not shopped often anymore, and they don't send out emails, they just get picked up. I go there on my own dime.
We don't have Gelsons in my town, but in the Valley where my friend lives. I also love Pasadena, too bad you moved, we could have met.

Blintz I’ve heard of but never tried a blize! TJ’s potstickers are also great to keep in freezer. And no where else will you find bananas for 19 cents each.

"Been stuck in the middle of a vendetta between me and myself" -Citizen Cope
I agree with you. I took two of these when I first saw them. Big mistake! I was in the store forever because you had to ask a question in multiple departments and every employee is so helpful, they talk to you forever. The butcher gave his number to call if I had additional questions. The produce guys kept bringing different kinds of apples for me to try. You can't get away! Between the time in the store and the time to write the report, this job pays pennies per hour.
@MW wrote:

I agree with you. I took two of these when I first saw them. Big mistake! I was in the store forever because you had to ask a question in multiple departments and every employee is so helpful, they talk to you forever. The butcher gave his number to call if I had additional questions. The produce guys kept bringing different kinds of apples for me to try. You can't get away! Between the time in the store and the time to write the report, this job pays pennies per hour.

20 pages, 119 questions, for a $12 fee and $5 reimbursement, not worth even looking at. I'm one and done. I didn't even bother finishing filling out the report.
@MW wrote:

I agree with you. I took two of these when I first saw them. Big mistake! I was in the store forever because you had to ask a question in multiple departments and every employee is so helpful, they talk to you forever. The butcher gave his number to call if I had additional questions. The produce guys kept bringing different kinds of apples for me to try. You can't get away! Between the time in the store and the time to write the report, this job pays pennies per hour.

True, but you can also fill up on free (expensive) wine, cheese and whatever each department has out on their counter if you shop during peak times.

It's no money maker, but it is a fairly luxurious experience.
They also have specific hours and I've never heard of a "free" or any wine tasting at Gelsons, but service is great.

Live consciously....
@Irene_L.A. wrote:

They also have specific hours and I've never heard of a "free" or any wine tasting at Gelsons, but service is great.

There are a couple of them that have wine tasting areas. The service is great, but products are over priced.
I did a Gelsons once years ago and spent my $$ on an overpriced specialty cheese I could have bought at TJ for a quarter the price. It was good though. Not much wine to taste and the Costco a block away has much more tasting food for a free lunch.
I did my first Bristol Farms yesterday, attracted by the big fee and reimbursement. The report was not difficult but I had to visit 11 depts. in addition to restroom, cashier etc. Some of the depts were one long counter or section along a side wall with three or four diff dept signs above in small sections and four or five employees serving all three "depts" at once. As a first timer I was not sure if I could ask my one employee a required question about all three depts that were grouped together at the store. I ended up leaving the "dept" after each encounter and then later going back and standing as far from my first encounter counter person as possible to get a new person for the next "dept" I had to visit. It was a pretty easy job but really time consuming to try to get a different person or not feel like a fool asking one person three or four easy questions in a row about different products and then just walking off.
Anyone who has done these for Bristol Farms who can shed light on this dilemma I would appreciate it. I sent an email to the scheduler when I got home but so far no response. I ended up buying my $20 worth of groceries that would have cost $14 elsewhere because I bought all sale items. Otherwise probably would have cost $10.
Gleson's and Bristol Farms would be comparable, both pricey...they closed Bristol Farms here up here, folks just too smart to pay that price, although Whole Foods is busy and shopped, doing one Saturday. They make a Challah to die for, and being shopped that's a must for me, also their 365 brand is lower than the rest, they have brought prices down quite a bit, and you can get one slice of a good pizza and do report there...works for me.

Live consciously....
Irene - I’m only seeing WFM groceries as a competitor shop and the Bar/Table service shops with the same MSC for both. Are yours with a different MSC? Not asking the name but if so will have to do more searching.
Same as always, but not done weekly or monthly as far as I know. Just luck to catch one, but now it'll be a couple months till next one pops up.

Live consciously....
@Irene_L.A. wrote:

They also have specific hours and I've never heard of a "free" or any wine tasting at Gelsons, but service is great.
They have wine and also liquor tastings, usually on Fridays or Saturdays. Last week was Bourbon. Love to shop at Gelsons, but no more mystery shopping there unless the fees go WAY up!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login