Occupied Gas Pumps

I've got a question for the gas station veterans. How long do you wait before indicating that a pump is unavailable when doing the MeritZ/Ipsos gas stations? I took a route this morning and it's taking me over an hour per because people are deciding to hang out at pumps and have lunch or take breaks etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2021 05:17PM by foodluvr.

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

I would never indicate a pump was unavailable because a vehicle is blocking it. Take a view from the side and explain in the comments.

*****************************************************************************
The more I learn about people...the more I like my dog..

Mark Twain
@MsJudi wrote:

I would never indicate a pump was unavailable because a vehicle is blocking it. Take a view from the side and explain in the comments.

There was no way to because it was a big old diesel truck with a trailer I couldn't get anywhere near it. I finally was able to get a photo after waiting nearly 45 minutes.
I would never wait that long. Get as close as you can to take a photo of whatever you can to show that it was inaccessible.
Ugh..gotcha...I hope it was a one time occurrence. I never had to wait that long and hope I never would.

*****************************************************************************
The more I learn about people...the more I like my dog..

Mark Twain
If the person is in or near the vehicle, I ask them to move. Since I am wearing a vest, they comply.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
@mjt9598 wrote:

I would never wait that long. Get as close as you can to take a photo of whatever you can to show that it was inaccessible.

And explain in the comment section. That had always been acceptable before. But we keep finding out new rules about how th current MSC wants things done so I guess we'll see.

sestrahelena
I HATE when people decide to live at the pump. Especially when they see what you are doing and know you need a picture. I try to get a picture around the car if not I take it with their car blocking it and explain that they were there the entire time you were working. I won't approach anyone because you just never know what you are going to have to deal with.
It happens to me quite a bit - especially so with smartphones - drivers texting, facebooking etc. Then, there are the indy shops where the owner parks in front of a pump.
Just ensure that you showed that you were at the site for at least 30 minutes - meaning you waited around for a reasonable amount of time.
OTOH, in the old days when people weren't so angry, I would just ask them to please move forward a wee bit, explaining I was working for the company and needed to take a photo. Never had a problem. Now, not so sure.
I ended up waiting around and took a picture of the vehicle blocking it. They accepted the report. I'm not about to approach anybody and there was nobody there in the truck. I think they were eating or taking a break and were not in the vehicle.

I did want a few weeks ago that was on a Sunday and there were a whole bunch of USPS trucks blocking pumps and there was no one in the convenience store so I have no idea where these people were. At least with a USPS truck you can get some photos!!
I sometimes ask the clerk if they can ask the person to move. although I have asked the person and they always comply
I am on site no longer than 20 minutes. If a pump is occupied during that time I take the best possible picture I can take and submit it. I have done thousands of assignments for 3 brands over the last 8 years and never had an assignment denied nor had a request to return for it. They don't pay us enough, frankly, to spend any longer time than that. It's a working station at a point in time so they get the best possible work available. The fact that the pumps are blocked is usually obvious and understandable in the overall picture anyway.
@cindycribbs wrote:

I HATE when people decide to live at the pump. Especially when they see what you are doing and know you need a picture. I try to get a picture around the car if not I take it with their car blocking it and explain that they were there the entire time you were working. I won't approach anyone because you just never know what you are going to have to deal with.

Sometimes people are deliberately being that way. When I suspect that, I will walk back into the store while not looking like I needed that pump, then stand in the doorway, and lo and behold they are gone five seconds later. Doesn't always work, but I will say, it's worked enough.
@KA047 wrote:

Sometimes people are deliberately being that way. When I suspect that, I will walk back into the store while not looking like I needed that pump, then stand in the doorway, and lo and behold they are gone five seconds later. Doesn't always work, but I will say, it's worked enough.

That sounds totally weird and improbable. But I have gotten the same impression, lol.
@foodluvr wrote:

I've got a question for the gas station veterans. How long do you wait before indicating that a pump is unavailable when doing the MeritZ/Ipsos gas stations? I took a route this morning and it's taking me over an hour per because people are deciding to hang out at pumps and have lunch or take breaks etc.
The only one that had address this problem was in the guide for the Yellow shop. They said to take a side shot of the pump after 10 minutes. I always wait to the VERY Last minute of the shop, but when reporting I submit a side shot and a full face showing the vehicle in front of the pump with pump number if possible
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login