Recipes for the shut down

Do you have a small can of tomato sauce? Or a squeeze of tomato paste and some extra honey? The ketchup has some sugar you will have to replace. Actually the seafood sauce would work quite well I think if you add more honey.

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2020 09:37PM by CoffeeQueen.

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

I keep a bag of vegetable scraps and peelings in the freezer. When the bag is filled up it's time to make stock.

I agree with you about the peppers.
@HonnyBrown wrote:

This isn't a recipe but a staple. I use dated raw vegetables to make stock. If I have shrimp or lobster shells, meat bones, or parmesan rinds, one or the other will go in the stock with the veggies. If I am feeling fancy, I will buy chicken necks and backs from the grocery. I also use fresh herbs up this way.

The only vegetable I don't use in the stock is any type of pepper. Peppers make stock bitter.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. Eleanor Roosevelt
@walesmaven wrote:

Hmm, no ketchup. What to use instead that does not require opening a large amount? Some seafood sauce from the fridge? A little V-8 Juice ?

Hoisin?
@JASFLALMT wrote:

The seafood sauce will have horseradish which will give it a nice little extra kick.

I worked at a restaurant that made their own cocktail sauce literally by adding horseradish to ketchup. the end product was indistinguishable from commercially prepared versions. So if you like the cocktail sauce (and clearly you do since it's in your fridge) I think that could be great.
Cooked Ramen noodles, can of Rotel, scrambled eggs, (black olives, optional). Break the noodles into smaller pieces than normal. (me I just break them down to none larger than an inch or so.) Cook the noodles. keep the packet for something else we will not be using it. After noodles are cooked drain but do not rinse set aside. Open the Rotel and olives. Then depending on how you like your scrambled eggs and how fast you cook them. Long and slow you put the cool noodles into a skillet, Apply low heat mix eggs with seasoning that you want I would just do salt and pepper. Pour into skillet and scramble with the noodles. When almost done add olives and Rotel finish heating and then plate and eat.
On another note check out Cooking with Sam on youtube He has a series on cooking in the Lockdown.
Significant other found the '4 Ingredient Meatloaf' on line and insisted I try it. 1# ground beef, 2 eggs, 1/2 c ketchup and a box of Stove Top stuffing mix. The consistency of the meatloaf is good, the flavor is overpoweringly Stove Top. Significant other is ecstatic so I guess I will be making it again in the future.
Last year a local grocery store had frozen fruit on sale ridiculously cheap (2.5 lb bags for $5 each). I bought mixed berries, strawberries, and blueberries (1 bag of each). I think I was going to make smoothies and never got around to doing it.

Anyway, I decided to make blueberry pancakes this morning. I took a good size bowl of the blueberries out to thaw, and then drained the juice into a small saucepan and put some of the frozen mixed berries and a tbsp of sugar and let it simmer on low. I used oat milk and an egg in the pancake mix, and then saw the Malibu rum sitting next to the vanilla extract and thought "oh what the hell" and used a splash of both in the batter. I didn't mix the blueberries into the batter, I laid out a thin layer of batter, dropped a generous amount of blueberries on top, and then drizzled more batter over them.

When they were done, I spread the berry compote on the top of each pancake (hubby had two) with butter and honey. OMG, those were some of the fluffiest, lightest and most delicious pancakes I have ever tasted. I didn't tell hubby about the Malibu rum until he had eaten them and exclaimed how exceptionally good they were...he is change resistant and doesn't like "new" things when it comes to food preparation.

I wonder what Kahlua and Bailey's would be like in banana pancakes? I have those on hand as well...
@JASFLALMT wrote:

Last year a local grocery store had frozen fruit on sale ridiculously cheap (2.5 lb bags for $5 each). I bought mixed berries, strawberries, and blueberries (1 bag of each). I think I was going to make smoothies and never got around to doing it.

Anyway, I decided to make blueberry pancakes this morning. I took a good size bowl of the blueberries out to thaw, and then drained the juice into a small saucepan and put some of the frozen mixed berries and a tbsp of sugar and let it simmer on low. I used oat milk and an egg in the pancake mix, and then saw the Malibu rum sitting next to the vanilla extract and thought "oh what the hell" and used a splash of both in the batter. I didn't mix the blueberries into the batter, I laid out a thin layer of batter, dropped a generous amount of blueberries on top, and then drizzled more batter over them.

When they were done, I spread the berry compote on the top of each pancake (hubby had two) with butter and honey. OMG, those were some of the fluffiest, lightest and most delicious pancakes I have ever tasted. I didn't tell hubby about the Malibu rum until he had eaten them and exclaimed how exceptionally good they were...he is change resistant and doesn't like "new" things when it comes to food preparation.

I wonder what Kahlua and Bailey's would be like in banana pancakes? I have those on hand as well...

No blueberries, mixed berries, oat milk, or bananas in the house, but I think I have rum. Probably still worth trying I think.
Tonight, tofu with garlic and ginger, vegetable fried rice and frozen broccoli. I will need to go the market tomorrow or Saturday. Uuughhhh. Seems all we do is eat. My home is like the office during the day; we meet in the kitchen.
I plan to test this recipe, banana bread carrot cake with cinnamon cream cheese frosting. [www.ambitiouskitchen.com]

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
I would recommend tomorrow, because everyone who's working from home still needs to take care of their errands on the weekends.
@Madetoshop wrote:

Tonight, tofu with garlic and ginger, vegetable fried rice and frozen broccoli. I will need to go the market tomorrow or Saturday. Uuughhhh. Seems all we do is eat. My home is like the office during the day; we meet in the kitchen.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. Eleanor Roosevelt
@JASFLALMT wrote:

Do you have chocolate chips and/or coconut? Those might be good with rum in pancakes.

No chocolate chips in the house. Coconut we have, but spouse is not a fan. So I could do mine that way.

Maybe rum, coconut, and crushed pineapple. Now I wish we had whipped cream around to go on top.
Maybe reduce the pineapple juice with a little brown sugar for a homemade syrup? Pineapple pancakes sounds yummy.
@Madetoshop... please post the pineapple, brown sugar, yellow cake mix recipe. It sounds good! Thanks!
For the homemade cocktail sauce, ketchup and horseradish are good, but adding a bit of Heinz 57 sauce is even better.
While we are on the topic of pineapple, or near it, let's remember that park, bbq sauce, pineapple and yams go together even better than "peas and carrots."

Based in MD, near DC
Shopping from the Carolinas to New York
Have video cam; will travel

Poor customer service? Don't get mad; get video.
A pork loin is a blank canvas. There's the BBQ route, the pineapple route, the pork-apple juice-crock pot route, and my personal favorite, the salt-pepper-rosemary-sear-roast route.

And lots more. And pork loins are much leaner than they used to be. I get one ground up and make sausage. You actually have to add fat.

@walesmaven wrote:

While we are on the topic of pineapple, or near it, let's remember that park, bbq sauce, pineapple and yams go together even better than "peas and carrots."


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 06:12PM by panama18.
@Dandydew

Pineapple upside down cake

1 can pineapple slices
1 box yellow cake mix for 2 layer cake
3T butter
½ c brown sugar (I prefer dark brown)
rum or brandy extract (optional)
eggs and oil as may be required for your cake mix

Preheat the oven to temp suggested on your cake mix box.
Drain the pineapple, reserving all juice in a measuring cup.
Put half of butter and half of brown sugar in each of two cake pans and slide them into the oven
Prepare the cake mix per instructions on the box except using the reserved pineapple juice as part of the water requirement.
Pull your cake pans from the oven. The butter should be melted and stir it around with the brown sugar and a splash of extract if desired. Try for a uniform layer of the butter and sugar in the bottom of the pan. Lay out your pineapple rings in the butter and sugar mix. There usually are 10 or 11 pineapple rings per can, so 5 rings per cake pan works.
Carefully pour cake batter over the rings and bake per boxed mix instructions.
When done, cool the cakes for only a couple of minutes and run a knife around the edges of the pan to make sure the sides are not stuck to the pan. Invert a large plate over the cake pan and quickly invert. The cake should drop out onto the plate and any syrup still left in the bottom of the pan can be scraped and spread atop the cake. This cake is at its best the next day.
Your ice cream would add some of the gooey goodness that is acquired by having it the next day. On day one the cake is a little dry.
For generations in my family, pineapple upside cake is always made in a cast iron skillet. Cornbread, too. Think I’ll put jalapeño cornbread on my to do list!
@JASFLALMT wrote:

Maybe reduce the pineapple juice with a little brown sugar for a homemade syrup? Pineapple pancakes sounds yummy.

Now we're getting somewhere. I think coconut is out. Pineapple chunks in the batter, syrup made from brown sugar and pineapple juice over the top, and glazed pecans tossed over the whole mess.
@Mert wrote:

For generations in my family, pineapple upside cake is always made in a cast iron skillet. Cornbread, too. Think I’ll put jalapeño cornbread on my to do list!
Just let me know what time to run by and pick it up off your porch. I won't even ring the bell.

Expect the skillet back in a few days.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login