Weird pandemic shortages

The back of my refrigerator freezes the top of whatever I have back there. Due to the dang middle where the temperature control /light is, I can't place it in the middle. I place it on the right side towards the front. The other option is the side doors. Yes, I have it set at the best temperature. I always yell "no more milk."

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

@VickyT916 wrote:

Potatoes are completely gone in northern California. And rice.

I used 1 lb bags of beans, lentils and brown rice for USPS regular box shops. I have 20 unopened boxes i mailed to myself so if there really is a shortage i have them.
I had about two dozen packages ready to go out the door so I'm all set too. I've discovered that I like brown rice when I have the time to cook it right.

@tstewart3 wrote:

@VickyT916 wrote:

Potatoes are completely gone in northern California. And rice.

I used 1 lb bags of beans, lentils and brown rice for USPS regular box shops. I have 20 unopened boxes i mailed to myself so if there really is a shortage i have them.
Just remember that dried beans actually do have a limited shelf life before they cease to cook up properly. t\That is, old beans stay tough when cooked. Lesson learned the hard way (Pun intended.)

Lentils and split peas, though, have VERY long useful shelf lives.

Based in MD, near DC
Shopping from the Carolinas to New York
Have video cam; will travel

Poor customer service? Don't get mad; get video.
I figured out the mask situation, and I am too busy whacking at projects to want for much else. Very soon, I can move some of my workouts to the open air and even read on the porch. Perhaps I just need to wait quietly for porch time.

If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music. - Gustav Mahler
Everything I have is nice and fresh, and paid for at (just barely) pre-pandemic prices.

@walesmaven wrote:

Just remember that dried beans actually do have a limited shelf life before they cease to cook up properly. t\That is, old beans stay tough when cooked. Lesson learned the hard way (Pun intended.)

Lentils and split peas, though, have VERY long useful shelf lives.
For meat lovers ive been seeing stories about theyre troubles with ill employees. You might want to buy a little bit extra.

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
As for shortages, they are not all bad. I have noticed a shortage of school and church shootings as well as public event massacres. There is a silver lining!

Along those lines, I wonder: when schools finally open, will there be a decline in attendance? Now that people have a taste for homeschooling, will they keep with it? Or will they still be trying to shove their kids off on someone else for entire days at a time? I know we have a lot of teachers here, how do you guys feel? Do you prefer teaching in the classroom or do you find online teaching more advantageous? Would that be an entirely different thread?

Personally, I think public schooling has been a mess for a long time. The u.s. is way behind other developed countries and has been for a while. Just my opinion! Which is ( completely and universally) without merit or value, so no one take offense, please!

sestrahelena
If you have a freezer, stock up on protein. Several meat processing plants have closed and the supply chain for those fresh meats will be whacked for a few months. Hog farmers are in the most dire of circumstances. As for milk, freeze it in smaller containers. Then let thaw naturally and slowly in the refrig.
Also broccoli, spinach and beans are all good sources of plant protein. If you have an egg or oatmeal for breakfast and one of those items later you shouldnt notice the lack of meat too much.

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
Some powdered protein products might be suitable for some people. Always read labels!

If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music. - Gustav Mahler
The main problem with plant-based proteins is the lack of B12. Two large eggs has about half of your daily requirement, but the B12 is in the yolks so people doing egg whites aren't getting it. If you are an omnivore and have been eating B12 rich meats and dairy products containing B12 for a long time, your liver probably has enough stored to keep you from being deficient for several years. A lot of people who go on plant-based diets end up being B12 deficient, eventually.
That is very true, but in short term it shouldn't be an issue. I have been a vegetarian off and on for years. Right now it's been off but I could make the switch back with little trouble and I don't eat nearly as much meat as most carnivores. My body does better with a little animal protein and when I'm vegetarian that is mostly eggs. I never mastered the vegan diet.

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
I was a vegetarian in my early 20s (but never vegan). There were far fewer options back then for meat alternatives and desserts and snack foods.
Not shortages but price increases. Sent DDs #1 and #2 to the Asian market. Closed. They drove to another one 1 mile away. Line was wrapped all around the market and then 1/2 way around again. They asked a man how long he was waiting. He was maybe 1/2 way there and said 40 minutes. They ditched their cart and drove to another one 2 miles away and waited 40 minutes. Beautiful produce and fruits but everything was so expensive. Avocados 2/$6, a lb. of strawberries $7, Scott's TP 8 roll for $15 limit one, a sleeve of garlic for $6 (I usually pay $2 at most), Eggs $4/dozen you get the gist. No cilantro, no boneless chicken breasts although they had thighs and drumsticks which are gross to them. They bought 15 bricks of TOFU which is what we were craving. Not organic but the expiration dates on these were through June which we will easily meet. I hope you all are well.
No exactly the same as shortages, But...I take Hydroxychloroquine and normally pay $90.00 for a 3 month supply. Today the price was $151.00 for the same amount.
I spoke with my parents today. My Mom said that eggs and meats were higher than normal.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
Here eggs are, but not meats. Eggs at some stores are over $3 a dozen, but skinless boneless chicken breasts are $1.88 a pound, bacon $2.88 a pound, pork baby back ribs $2.99 a pound, and filet mignon $13.99 a pound.
That's terrible! There are hotlines for reporting price gouging during the pandemic.

@barbage wrote:

No exactly the same as shortages, But...I take Hydroxychloroquine and normally pay $90.00 for a 3 month supply. Today the price was $151.00 for the same amount.
When I converted to a mainly vegan diet I started talking D3 and B12 supplements daily. Several years later a blood test discovered my D3 level was high, so I cut back to every other day.
@JASFLALMT wrote:

The main problem with plant-based proteins is the lack of B12. Two large eggs has about half of your daily requirement, but the B12 is in the yolks so people doing egg whites aren't getting it. If you are an omnivore and have been eating B12 rich meats and dairy products containing B12 for a long time, your liver probably has enough stored to keep you from being deficient for several years. A lot of people who go on plant-based diets end up being B12 deficient, eventually.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. Eleanor Roosevelt
My D3 level refuses to go up sufficiently, regardless of what brand and format I try. It's a thing.

Meanwhile, I am running out of sappy movies to watch... on the one hand, this is good because I am not inspired as often to call in the schmaltz police. OTOH, I miss those super-sappy moments.

If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music. - Gustav Mahler
It's hard for vitamin D3 to absorb properly without fat. It's fat soluble so should be taken with a fatty meal for better absorption.
@KathyG wrote:

When I converted to a mainly vegan diet I started talking D3 and B12 supplements daily. Several years later a blood test discovered my D3 level was high, so I cut back to every other day.
@JASFLALMT wrote:

The main problem with plant-based proteins is the lack of B12. Two large eggs has about half of your daily requirement, but the B12 is in the yolks so people doing egg whites aren't getting it. If you are an omnivore and have been eating B12 rich meats and dairy products containing B12 for a long time, your liver probably has enough stored to keep you from being deficient for several years. A lot of people who go on plant-based diets end up being B12 deficient, eventually.

I am vegan and take a daily supplement. Watching people freak out because they can't buy corndogs is making me laugh. Their is no shortage of healthy foods (produce, whole grains, etc).

I am seeing people post their meals for the week lists on FB.
It's shocking to me to see that people in CA eat so much pork and beef. I haven't eaten pork or beef since 1984. I used to eat poultry and fish, but never beef and pork. No wonder everyone is so unhealthy if they eat all of that every day? (Example: pork tacos, beef ribs, hamburgers, beef enchiladas, pork fried rice, bacon on everything etc)
I love pork and beef. I don't eat it every day. I do eat a lot of fish, shrimp, mussels, etc. and vegetables.
@barbage wrote:

No exactly the same as shortages, But...I take Hydroxychloroquine and normally pay $90.00 for a 3 month supply. Today the price was $151.00 for the same amount.
Do you by any chance have the Good Rx app available to use?? Sometimes, though not always, the price with them is cheaper than even insurance. In my area right now, 60 tabs of hydroxychloroquine at 200 mg per tab is costing as low as $6.00 w/membership at Harris Teeter, to a high of $77.51 at Walgreens, with 9 variations in between!! So, for instance, if 60 tabs is a 30 day supply (2 tabs/day), at HT w/membership, a 90 day supply could possible cost less than $20.00!! It's a free app.
I did have the check the GoodRx and it was about the same. Unfortunately, I use Walgreens because of insurance. Maybe I should go somewhere else and pay out of pocket?
Do you have any grocery stores with pharmacies that sell gas or have other perks? We have a grocery store here that also has gas stations and you can earn rewards by transferring your prescription, plus earn additional rewards for the purchase. Right now gas is so super cheap it might not make a huge difference, but you can also take a discount on your total grocery bill if you want. Sometimes pharmacies will offer you a gift card for switching your prescription to their store. Worth looking into.
Anyone that has been caught price gouging in my area has been fined. We had the same thing happen after Hurricanes Irene and Sandy and it was quickly nipped in the bud.

Shopping the South Jersey Shore
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login