If I do a Five Guys shop and don't like the fries but they are cooked according to Five Guys standards is it ethical for me to say yes the fries were satisfactory if I don't really like them? (This is a mystery shop question)

I guess what I'm asking is if they're not satisfactory am I lying when I say they are? I'm not saying that someone who say's they're satisfactory is being unethical saying they are satisfactory when they think they're unsatisfactory but I'm not sure what I should do? Is it unethical? I mean if you say they are satisfactory when they are unsatisfactory then you are lying. I don't think people who do this are being unethical intentionally, but rather they are lying without knowing it. But then they might be satisfactory to someone who likes the way Five Guys fries are supposed to be cooked. So is it a lie? Because if you WERE a person who likes them then they WOULD be satisfactory.

I just don't know and this has confused me for some time. I am getting so stressed out on how to answer this question the next time I take a Five Guys off the board at $6. If I ever do that.

I think for now I will just not take anymore Five Guys until I have a satisfactory answer and am no longer stressed out over it.

Because, I mean, am I or am I not lying? Should it be satisfactory or unsatisfactory? I really don't like their fries so I don't want to lie, but the fries are usually cooked the way Five Guys want them. So to Five Guys fries likers they WOULD be unsatisfactory.

I'm just confused and stressed out over this.

Edit 1
I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm trying to get past the fact that I would be lying when I say they fries are satisfactory. I mean their fries are gross and it just doesn't feel right for me to say they are satisfactory, even though if I liked the way they make fries then they WOULD be unsatisfactory. But they're not. I need to get my head around this before I can take anymore of these shops. It's just too stressful.

Edit 2
What do other people do when they lie on shopper forms by saying the fries are unsatisfactory when they're not. I'm sure they don't lie intentionally but it would stress me out too much to lie like that.

There are reasons that a body stays in motion
At the moment only demons come to mind


Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 08:14PM by bgriffin.

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

Since we have allowed the forum to be dumbed down by the kind of drama and ridiculous questions we are seeing posted lately, this thread will fit right in. I'm confused and stressed, too.

Good job, bg. (especially the long title that takes up my whole cell phone screen). Don't forget to go back and Delete all posts plus the title after it gets some discussion.
I feel you, and often stress if I only counted 14 shakes, and may have missed one. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 08:17PM by tcurione.
OMG. OR what if they don't have to cook new fries while I'm there. Like if they're really slow or something and nobody orders fries. So I can't really count shakes because they don't have fries to shake? The last time that happened I spent 7 hours in the store because it was the end of lunch when I went in and they didn't get busy again until that night. Then my shop got rejected because I went outside of the timeframe.

Edit 1
I mean. I get why they rejected it but lying and saying they were shaken 15 times was stressing me out. But at the same time I didn't want to say they DIDN'T shake them 15 times because it wasn't their fault nobody came in to by their stressful unsatisfactory fries.

There are reasons that a body stays in motion
At the moment only demons come to mind


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 08:19PM by bgriffin.
Let me be Captain Obvious(and maybe this post was done in jest) does not the guidelines state something along the lines of the fries must be cooked to 5's standards and NOT yours? Whether you like them or not did they do everything they were suppose to? Hey, what do I know? I've only done one.
@bgriffin wrote:

OMG. OR what if they don't have to cook new fries while I'm there. Like if they're really slow or something and nobody orders fries. So I can't really count shakes because they don't have fries to shake? The last time that happened I spent 7 hours in the store because it was the end of lunch when I went in and they didn't get busy again until that night. Then my shop got rejected because I went outside of the timeframe.

Edit 1
I mean. I get why they rejected it but lying and saying they were shaken 15 times was stressing me out. But at the same time I didn't want to say they DIDN'T shake them 15 times because it wasn't their fault nobody came in to by their stressful unsatisfactory fries.

Hold on a minute here....You spent 7 hours in five guys to wait and see if they were going to shake the fries 15 times?
Ding, ding, ding. Winner! You read the guidelines.

@wozswoman wrote:

Let me be Captain Obvious(and maybe this post was done in jest) does not the guidelines state something along the lines of the fries must be cooked to 5's standards and NOT yours? Whether you like them or not did they do everything they were suppose to? Hey, what do I know? I've only done one.
Seriously? Like someone said, "Satisfactory" means cooked to 5 Guys standards, NOT your taste. Obviously MILLIONS of people LOVE them WHEN THEY'RE COOKED CORRECTLY. You are there to see if they are being made to the standards set forth in the guidelines, so that the thousands of people who eat at your shop continue to love the fries. There is no reason to stress about lying. Are they made correctly Y/N. Were they shaken 15x? Y/N No drama, no lying. You're way over thinking this. Lying is saying "The restroom was in good repair" and not taking a picture of the "Out of Order" sign. Lying is saying the grocery associate's name tag read "Craig", but he wasn't wearing one but you know his name from prior shops. The company is not interested in his name; they want to know if he was wearing a name tag. They can figure out who he is from your description. The store manager who sees your report knows who is who from height, hair color and length, and whether they're wearing glasses.
This thread is the best thing I've read all week!

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
@bgriffin wrote:

Perhaps I didn't use the sarcasm font.

Ohhhhh! LOL!

My hat goes off to you, then. winking smiley
I have a serious dilemma. I've been reading this thread and laughing so hard I have been crying like crazy. My eyes are now red and swollen and I have to go into a shop right now! If the rep asks should I tell him I've been laughing? If he asks what could be so funny, what should I say? I really don't want to lie because that is immoral, but how can I tell him it was from reading a mystery shopping forum and have him not suspect I am a mystery shopper. If I do lie and tell him I'm depressed, is that ethical? Should I put it in report if he asks? Should I put it in my report if he so insensitive and doesn't ask? This is stressing me out. Should I reschedule?

Equal rights for others does not mean fewer rights for you. It's not pie.
"I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag." -Molly Ivins
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time and it really annoys the pig.


Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 11:11PM by LisaSTL.
@bgriffin wrote:

Perhaps I didn't use the sarcasm font.

I'd honestly say that if someone wrote on this forum that they sat in Five Guys for 5 hours for some random reason there's a solid chance they actually did.

People are crazy nowadays.
IDK but the unintentional hilarity is off the charts.

@roflwofl wrote:

This thread is dripping with sarcasm. How can so many people be totally not getting it?

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
@LisaSTL wrote:

I have a serious dilemma. I've been reading this thread and laughing so hard I have been crying like crazy. My eyes are now red and swollen and I have to go into a shop right now! If the rep asks should I tell him I've been laughing? If he asks what could be so funny, what should I say? I really don't want to lie because that is immoral, but how can I tell him it was from reading a mystery shopping forum and have him not suspect I am a mystery shopper. If I do lie and tell him I'm depressed, is that ethical? Should I put it in report if he asks? Should I put it in my report if he so insensitive and doesn't ask? This is stressing me out. Should I reschedule?

Definitely.
Is that a requirement? I certainly hope not. If so, I may have to go buy a new computer.

@bgriffin wrote:

Perhaps I didn't use the sarcasm font.
Instead of the font, wouldn't it be easier to always assume sarcasm unless told otherwise?smiling smiley

Equal rights for others does not mean fewer rights for you. It's not pie.
"I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag." -Molly Ivins
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time and it really annoys the pig.
Especially with this OP, it's best to assume sarcasm and/or snark. (and I hope he says the same about mesmiling smiley)
Among other things, he doeswinking smiley

Equal rights for others does not mean fewer rights for you. It's not pie.
"I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag." -Molly Ivins
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time and it really annoys the pig.


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 11:37PM by LisaSTL.
Delightful parody, bg.

Well done.

BTW, for the clueless, I knew what it was half-way through the title -- and checked the author!!!
Funny and quite apropo...deserves a wholehearted OY VEY. When fries are not up to your high standards, please be honest, just say they stink, are soggy and need improvement....keeping your integrity up to the standards of the forum....good one BG, long live the queen.

Live consciously....
My exact dilemma with Sonic. According to the guidelines the food is served properly. I can not force a picture to convey my disgust with the taste. I stopped doing the shops, even when a nice bonus shows up. My time is precious and limited. I can not waste time on food I am not going to eat, then rush somewhere else to get some real food.

I thought to myself, why not bring my lunch from home and eat it at Sonic. Force a bite of the gross Sonic food then cover it up with my real food. Heck, the carhop never checks on me anyways. But I hate spilling food all over me and my car. Bring a change of clothes? Stand outside my car, maybe that's acceptable?

I hate the chips at Baja Fresh, they suck. But I have to say they met the standards. I can't really think they suck if I do not eat them. I could bring someone, better yet just ask someone there how their chips are. They will gladly lie about how great they are.

Nah, following the guidelines is the honorable and moral answer. I am an adult, I can do this...

Thanks, your listening helped, I think...

Job listing sites; [www.msjobboard.com] - Shopmetrics; [www.mystshopsol.com]; [www.jobslinger.com] - Sassie; [www.volition.com] - Various links; [www.mspa-na.org] -MSPA Members; link at bottom of forum page to their extensive list of companies
Whoa. Did Irene really just call bgriffin a queen? This thread just gets better and bettersmiling smiley

Equal rights for others does not mean fewer rights for you. It's not pie.
"I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag." -Molly Ivins
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time and it really annoys the pig.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.