What are you having for dinner? AGAIN!

Regarding Albonidigas... I learned to make it from my BFF's little mexican grandma. So I don't cotton to no fancy youtube varieties. She bought the leanest ground beef she could find. Then she would make the meatballs. in a bowl goes the meat (i use 1/2 lb). Then add 2 tbsp of raw rice, a tbsp of chopped garlic, some dried onions (about 1/2 t and one egg. Mix it all up well. You are not going to pan fry these or bake them. They will go directly into the boiling soup. The soup is 1 box of beef or chicken broth, or 6 cups of water with Knorr chicken boullion. I like to use beef broth personally. I start with one box then add if needed. 1/2 c. of spaghetti sauce, 2 diced potatoes, and 2 diced carrots, 2 diced stalks of celery and 1/2 diced onion. cook until the potatoes and carrots are tender. Then add the meatballs and simmer on low until the rice is cooked. I just drop the meatball mixture by spoonfulls into the pot. The meatballs will break apart a little and that is part of the charm. The rice helps thicken the broth. When the soup is finished cooking I skim it well for any leftover fat or foam, salt and pepper to taste and there you are.

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2020 02:42PM by CoffeeQueen.

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

CoffeeQueen, thanks for the recipe. I try to make a different soup once a week. Tonight I am making Lentil soup, lots of carrots, onions, lentils, tomato sauce etc.
Pizza tonight. But, while getting that out of the freezer I found about 1.5 pints of pot roast in gravy there and will definitely be using that for a couple of suppers during the EOM crazy period.

Based in MD, near DC
Shopping from the Carolinas to New York
Have video cam; will travel

Poor customer service? Don't get mad; get video.


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 09:15PM by walesmaven.
SoCalPapa is making a homemade vegan apple pie. Smells pretty good. I'll have a salad and probably left over pasta with that.
I fed Ann leftover pesto ranch chicken. She liked it a lot. So did I but it didnt like me lol. I ate a Marie Callendars chicken pot pie.

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
While I am out doing garages, a full side of wild salmon will be defrosting in the fridge. Later, I will use the stove top smoker (Thank you Honny for the tip) for it. Will suatee fresh spinach in olive oil and garlic and add a starch TBD. Yummy leftovers for yet another night of little cooking at the EOM rush.

Based in MD, near DC
Shopping from the Carolinas to New York
Have video cam; will travel

Poor customer service? Don't get mad; get video.
I made a breakfast supper last night. Seemed like the thing to do. It was tasty.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Planning this for tomorrow.

[butterwithasideofbread.com]

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
I just printed that out! Looks like a keeper!

I wonder if I can use some of my Italian meatballs instead of starting over with fresh sausage.

Based in MD, near DC
Shopping from the Carolinas to New York
Have video cam; will travel

Poor customer service? Don't get mad; get video.
I dont see why not. I am using ground turkey.

@walesmaven wrote:

I just printed that out! Looks like a keeper!

I wonder if I can use some of my Italian meatballs instead of starting over with fresh sausage.

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
I make this all of the time using a very similar recipe. It's probably my favorite soup right now.

Personally, i use mild italian turkey sausage and the sweet taste of the sausage with the tomatoes and cream cheese are so amazing together. Other meats will be good, but not amazing imho.

@CoffeeQueen wrote:

Planning this for tomorrow.

[butterwithasideofbread.com]

Kim
I made broccoli mac and cheese, and accidentally used too much cheese but it was soooo creamy and delish i wanted to eat the whole thing.

Found recipe here: [damndelicious.net]

Kim
Im sure you are right but im supposed to eat low fat. Im not compromising the cream cheese so its going to have to be the sausage. Ill look for some italian sausage that is made of ground turkey but im not sure such a thing exists in my kroger.
@kimmiemae wrote:

I make this all of the time using a very similar recipe. It's probably my favorite soup right now.

Personally, i use mild italian turkey sausage and the sweet taste of the sausage with the tomatoes and cream cheese are so amazing together. Other meats will be good, but not amazing imho.

@CoffeeQueen wrote:

Planning this for tomorrow.

[butterwithasideofbread.com]

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
New-to-Mexican restaurant (not a shop).

This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before. - Leonard Bernstein
Yikes! Could I use more milk and no half-and-half ?

Based in MD, near DC
Shopping from the Carolinas to New York
Have video cam; will travel

Poor customer service? Don't get mad; get video.
My sister informs me that this will also work with cut green beans.
For those who would prefer their broccoli beside the mac and cheese (or anything else), consider

Steamed Broccoli for Dummies
1 Place up to about 6 servings of fresh broccoli florets into a microwavable bowl.
2. Fill that bowl with cold water and drain the broccoli.
3. Cover the bowl of damp broccoli with a tight-fitting piece of plastic wrap.
4. DO NOT vent the cover !
5. Microwave for 3 minutes.

Yes, no matter how much broccoli, 3 minutes. This recipe is for Dummies, after all!
Note: when the 3 minutes are up, that plastic wrap will rapidly shrink to the point of where it can really squash those, now tend-crisp florets. So, you will probably want to vent of remove the plastic fairly soon.

Based in MD, near DC
Shopping from the Carolinas to New York
Have video cam; will travel

Poor customer service? Don't get mad; get video.
This is the recipe i use. As written, it's 9 grams fat per serving. I use mild italian turkey sausage instead of hot.
[emilybites.com]


@CoffeeQueen wrote:

Im sure you are right but im supposed to eat low fat. Im not compromising the cream cheese so its going to have to be the sausage. Ill look for some italian sausage that is made of ground turkey but im not sure such a thing exists in my kroger.
@kimmiemae wrote:

I make this all of the time using a very similar recipe. It's probably my favorite soup right now.

Personally, i use mild italian turkey sausage and the sweet taste of the sausage with the tomatoes and cream cheese are so amazing together. Other meats will be good, but not amazing imho.

@CoffeeQueen wrote:

Planning this for tomorrow.

[butterwithasideofbread.com]

Kim
I just re-read the recipe that you posted and i can see why you are concerned with the fat. I see now that it uses a whole brick of cream cheese.

Kim
I use almond milk instead of whole milk and extra sharp cheese made with 2% milk to cut the fat. I've also used more than 3 cups of broccoli - usually it's frozen and i throw it in with the pasta to let it cook a little more. The recipe says 4 servings but i think it's more like 6.

@walesmaven wrote:

Yikes! Could I use more milk and no half-and-half ?

Kim
Yeah. Now that I give that some thought, probably half of that would be perfectly fine. Also in the recipe you posted instead of chunks of tomatoes it's a nice tomato broth which I prefer. I don't like spinach in soup so maybe some green beans or something.

@kimmiemae wrote:

I just re-read the recipe that you posted and i can see why you are concerned with the fat. I see now that it uses a whole brick of cream cheese.

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2020 02:15PM by CoffeeQueen.
Green beans sound yummy. Zucchini perhaps? Were you able to find turkey sausage?

I think the broth in the recipe is a perfect balance between tomato-y and creamy. I applaud people who have these blogs and come up with great recipes. I could never do that.

BTW, if you ever need an idea for anything with Buffalo chicken wing flavor, that is the blog to go to. The blogger, Emily, is from Buffalo, NY originally and she does it right. She has a chicken wing dip that was good and lower in fat.

@CoffeeQueen wrote:

Yeah. Now that I give that some thought, probably half of that would be perfectly fine. Also in the recipe you posted instead of chunks of tomatoes it's a nice tomato broth which I prefer. I don't like spinach in soup so maybe some green beans or something.

@kimmiemae wrote:

I just re-read the recipe that you posted and i can see why you are concerned with the fat. I see now that it uses a whole brick of cream cheese.

Kim
Stew from "scratch" (I got a wild hare in the store and did not have leftovers at home)

This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before. - Leonard Bernstein
Porkchops in the slowcooker with mushroom soup dumped over. Want a day to do other things at home. I've had plenty of those days lately but haven't done any of the things.????
No turkey sausage here.ill just use less of tbe regular.

@kimmiemae wrote:

Green beans sound yummy. Zucchini perhaps? Were you able to find turkey sausage?

I think the broth in the recipe is a perfect balance between tomato-y and creamy. I applaud people who have these blogs and come up with great recipes. I could never do that.

BTW, if you ever need an idea for anything with Buffalo chicken wing flavor, that is the blog to go to. The blogger, Emily, is from Buffalo, NY originally and she does it right. She has a chicken wing dip that was good and lower in fat.

@CoffeeQueen wrote:

Yeah. Now that I give that some thought, probably half of that would be perfectly fine. Also in the recipe you posted instead of chunks of tomatoes it's a nice tomato broth which I prefer. I don't like spinach in soup so maybe some green beans or something.

@kimmiemae wrote:

I just re-read the recipe that you posted and i can see why you are concerned with the fat. I see now that it uses a whole brick of cream cheese.

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
Cold home-smoked salmon, mac and cheese, sauteed fresh spinach

Based in MD, near DC
Shopping from the Carolinas to New York
Have video cam; will travel

Poor customer service? Don't get mad; get video.
Haven't shopped yet so I had the stuff on hand to put this in the slow cooker.
[damndelicious.net]

I enjoy awkward questions and uncomfortable silences. This gas station pavement is $%^@*#& hot.
CoffeeQueen - Saved the recipe for Albonidigas - can't wait to try it. And Kimmie I bookmarked your link to check out recipes. It is so much fun trying new things and changing them to personal preference.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login