smartphones...what kind do you have and why?

I'll start. I bought a Motorola g7 power with 15 months insurance. I got a great case on Walmart. I got Motorola cuz everyone I know has Samsung. I did research for days and the Samsung I wanted was a LOT more money. I am very happy with my moto!! $307 including insurance. Samsung was $399 w/no insurance. A friend suggested I get a used one (refurbished) but I wanted a brand new one. I take lots of pictures so this is perfect for me. I will eventually upgrade but this is the first one I kept. I had 2 before this and just wasn't into it at the time. Now I am older than dirt >so appreciate it a lot.smiling smiley My favorite feature is voice text.... sometimes it types most of what I said. lol

What kind do you have and why? smiling smiley

Create an Account or Log In

Membership is free. Simply choose your username, type in your email address, and choose a password. You immediately get full access to the forum.

Already a member? Log In.

After 3 consecutive Samsung Galaxies, I switched over to an LG V60. Pre-chaos, I did a lot of cell phone comparison shops.For the past few years, the sales reps have held LG in very high regard. I researched the two 5G LG phones carried by my wireless carrier.

Normally, I buy my phones on eBay. If the S20 is out now, I'll get a new S10 for $200 - $300. This way, I'm not paying the exorbitant fees my carrier demands to buy a phone from them.

My job gives managers a cell phone allowance each month, so I used that money to pay for the monthly new phone fee.

The LG V60 has an amazing camera. The video is 4K HD.It's an Android phone, so the features are familiar. The only complaint that I have is the amount of ads, but the right ad blocker takes care of that.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
Ive been rocking a Nexus 6 (aka Shamu) for years, it was the only phone that was available when I jumped into GoogleFi and they sure picked a good one. It's treated me well, but after 6 years I can tell it's starting to show it's age. I'm looking at OnePlus line of phone now, hopefully don't have to make a purchase for awhile - but this is where I'm leaning towards.
What Android version is that running? The downside to less expensive Android phones is that OS cannot be updated past a certain version.

@Dongjuan wrote:

Ive been rocking a Nexus 6 (aka Shamu) for years, it was the only phone that was available when I jumped into GoogleFi and they sure picked a good one. It's treated me well, but after 6 years I can tell it's starting to show it's age. I'm looking at OnePlus line of phone now, hopefully don't have to make a purchase for awhile - but this is where I'm leaning towards.
7.1.1 - i recall a year or so ago, that this was the last version I would be getting. So I'm sure in the next few years things will stop being compatible, but for now - all is well on this version
LG Rebel, refurbished, running Oreo 8.1. Paid $15 and use it almost exclusively for shopping.
Wow. Did you get it on Ebay?

@panama18 wrote:

LG Rebel, refurbished, running Oreo 8.1. Paid $15 and use it almost exclusively for shopping.
No, Tracfone website.

@MSF wrote:

Wow. Did you get it on Ebay?

@panama18 wrote:

LG Rebel, refurbished, running Oreo 8.1. Paid $15 and use it almost exclusively for shopping.
Finally upgraded to an iPhone 11 from an iPhone 6. I quite amazed how responsive the phone is now; the upgrade is definitely worth the cost, as the iPhone 6 was painfully slow and outdated that the overall time to get through tasks were astronomical.

Btw, wow. Never knew what “live” pictures were until my girlfriend sent me it from her iPhone 8. Mind blowing stuff.

Shopping the Greater Denver Area, Colorado Springs and in-between in Colorado. 30 year old male and willing to travel! Badged for Denver International Airport.
My current phone is LG-K30. Previous phone was Samsung. I didnt want to spend another $900+ on a phone tbat i knew i would drop every week. The LG cost a little over $100 and my data plan is $40 per month, includes 10 GB monthly data (more than enough for what i do) unlimited phone and texts, and takes good photos on Android v. 9.

If i drop it and damage too much, i'll get another phone. Even with protective cases a phone's internals can still get damaged. Samsung taught me that. The old Samsung is no good as a phone, but it is great for sitting on the kitchen counter streaming a movie or tv show while i cook.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2020 09:09PM by Susan L..
I have an LG because it was the right [low!] price and had a sufficient camera for the work I do. I am not brand loyal, and my next phone need only be reasonably up-to-date, have a sufficient camera, and cost little.

Things are not to be judged good or bad merely because the public think so. - Tacitus
I saw something recently about Apple being sued for slowing down the iPhone 6. I think it's a class action.

@Tarantado wrote:

Finally upgraded to an iPhone 11 from an iPhone 6. I quite amazed how responsive the phone is now; the upgrade is definitely worth the cost, as the iPhone 6 was painfully slow and outdated that the overall time to get through tasks were astronomical.

Btw, wow. Never knew what “live” pictures were until my girlfriend sent me it from her iPhone 8. Mind blowing stuff.
@panama18 wrote:

I saw something recently about Apple being sued for slowing down the iPhone 6. I think it's a class action.

Yeah, even with address the battery slowdowns, or what they call “battery optimization,” the phone apps are terribly slow due to just not being updated and optimized for the older phones. Either way, if Apple isn’t going to force you to update, it’ll be all the software from 3rd party that eventually will.

Shopping the Greater Denver Area, Colorado Springs and in-between in Colorado. 30 year old male and willing to travel! Badged for Denver International Airport.
My issue with Samsung was swollen batteries. I use my old one as an Alexa avenue in my kitchen. I didn not have a case for the last one (S7) and it never cracked after many drops. It just slid a lot.

@Susan L. wrote:

My current phone is LG-K30. Previous phone was Samsung. I didnt want to spend another $900+ on a phone tbat i knew i would drop every week. The LG cost a little over $100 and my data plan is $40 per month, includes 10 GB monthly data (more than enough for what i do) unlimited phone and texts, and takes good photos on Android v. 9.

If i drop it and damage too much, i'll get another phone. Even with protective cases a phone's internals can still get damaged. Samsung taught me that. The old Samsung is no good as a phone, but it is great for sitting on the kitchen counter streaming a movie or tv show while i cook.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
I am looking for an automatic reply...such as if someone texts or calls I can click on a general reply like "I am busy now and will get back to you when I can." What is that called?
Verizon has that as an option. Tap the 3 lines in the upper left screen and select "Driving Mode."

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
Yes, I texted a friend of mine that said she does the auto reply with bluetooth in her car.
Thanks Honny.

I use straight talk for my carrier. It works very well.
@heather shops wrote:

I am looking for an automatic reply...such as if someone texts or calls I can click on a general reply like "I am busy now and will get back to you when I can." What is that called?

Mine has "quick decline messages." Something like that? It's in the phone settings.

sestrahelena


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2020 12:55AM by sestrahelena.
Currently, I have a Samsung A10, did use a KG K20. before that had a Note 4 from Samsung and two LG small Android phones from Tracphone. All of the old phones are now used as clocks around the house. Use the Digital Clock App.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2020 09:43PM by 2stepps.
I am loving the phone and straight talk is reasonable. I put spotify on my phone so I can use up data. I do not use the smartphone to do emails or surveys. I do my surveys on laptop. I take pictures and text a lot.smiling smiley
Good to know... my oldie but goodie Lux timer gives me one hour... *ding!*

@Susan L. wrote:

Old phones also work well as kitchen timers.

Things are not to be judged good or bad merely because the public think so. - Tacitus


Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2020 03:48PM by Shop-et-al.
I get 5 GB data on my motorola g7 power. I can watch my tv app on my phone or can listen to spotify. How much data does it take to do what? I want to and WILL use the 5 GB!!!
Streaming video uses the most data. 5GB won't get you very far in the month.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
I have used 139 mb so far. lol.. I listened to spotify and so far that is it. I'll do what I want and check to see how much I've used.
I think gaming might use the most data especially with game updates. At least it does on the home wifi.

sestrahelena
I have a Motorola. That's all I know and care to know. smiling smiley I don't know what the model is, what it's memory is, etc. Don't care.

I know its battery lasts very long w/o having to recharge. The sales associate told me that, as it was a feature I wanted. I only use it to call people and take photos/record video. I don't go online, play games, or do anything else.
Correct. I completely forgot about gaming. That's surprising considering how much gaming I do on my phone.

@sestrahelena wrote:

I think gaming might use the most data especially with game updates. At least it does on the home wifi.

"There's so much trouble in this world; surrounded by miracles" - Citizen Cope
Until a few weeks ago the best and most reliable phone I've ever had was my LG V40. Actually it still is. and it's still functional but it's not currently connected to any service. I bought a new LG V60 and I REALLY like it, except I've already had to have it replaced once, and I hadn't had it for a whole month yet. The replacement seems a lot better, I guess we'll see.

I'm a Verizon Communications (not Wireless) retiree, though not incredibly brand loyal, I can't get the same service, or same coverage from any of the other companies. I used one of those Purchase shops to experiment with AT&T, the experiment failed miserably, and I'm paying a real steep price for it now.

I'm not sure which software version the V60 has, but I do know that it just updated a day or two ago. lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2020 02:56AM by Morledzep.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login